B&Q Kitchens - Beware!

Options
2»

Comments

• dumbrill
    Options
    Doh wrote: »
    ouch! just doing one myself at the mo, luckily i bought all my cupboards at the old price and with 40% discount ontop of that :) i don't think the door fronts and end panels have doubled though, the ovens i bought had gone up £20 each which i got caught out on :(

I'm afraid I think you'll find the doors have all doubled in price.
  • Sconnie
    Options
    I,M_SAD wrote: »
    I had looked at the B and Q kitchens last week,thought they were expensive,I originally did think I would have bought from them,Wickes is same spec on take away kitchens but much cheaper if anybody is looking.
    Don,t see how B and Q can justify doubling prices,sometimes the sales are a gimmick sometimes.

B&Q did double thier prices on kitchens, bathrooms and the installation. I recently got a quote in October for my bathroom which was with 40% off and no offer on installation and it came to £8600. I assumed with the half price installation i would get it a lot cheaper? no, it was £8100 with the goods only costing £1900 and £6700 for installation. Bargain eh? I think not. Why do these company's think the public are thick and stupid???? There should be a law against it!!!!!!!!!
  • Sconnie
    Options
    I,M_SAD wrote: »
    I had looked at the B and Q kitchens last week,thought they were expensive,I originally did think I would have bought from them,Wickes is same spec on take away kitchens but much cheaper if anybody is looking.
    Don,t see how B and Q can justify doubling prices,sometimes the sales are a gimmick sometimes.[/quote

They do this as these companys think we are !!!!!! and they make us think we are getting a bargain but we are not!
  • mizzbiz
    mizzbiz Posts: 1,434 Forumite
    Options
    I think that as long as the goods have been at the higher price for 28 days then they can say they are 'half price'.

I'm not sure of whether they have to tell you or not, though. I need to look this up as Argos definitely print that the item has been on sale prior at so-and-so price. IMO they should all HAVE to do this by law.
    I'll have some cheese please, bob.
  • katiecoodle
    Options
    I bought a B&Q kitchen a couple of years ago and they offered me installation at a price of £2300. I turned them down & found a local chap who did it for £350. Such a rip off on the fitting I couldn't believe it! Also worth noting that I bought the kitchen in the sales (post Xmas) and it was delivered in June and fitted in July. When I phoned to activate the guarantee on the appliances, they only honoured it from the day that the kitchen was purchased - December! Crazy, especially as it wasn't delivered until 6 months later.
    Still, we live and learn.
  • andrew-b
    andrew-b Posts: 2,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    When I phoned to activate the guarantee on the appliances, they only honoured it from the day that the kitchen was purchased - December!
    That's an interesting point to note and i agree it's daft! I can see why alot of manufacturers do this as it's harder to prove when a product was installed than when it was purchased and often they would only have the customer word which may not be an honest date! It's much the same with most things you buy. Like i purchased a shower enclosure in December but by the time i get to fit it may be March but yet the guarantee period is already ticking away!
    Though there are always exceptions...i believe zanussi accepted the date i said our oven had been installed rather than months before when i'd purchased it as part of a wickes kitchens. I think it's worth shopping around for products with longer guarantees if it's going to be a while before you get to install them!
    Never did buy the kitchen doors from b&q for my bathroom units like i was going to - we're going to make our own from scratch instead so it should be interesting to see how they turn out!

Andy
  • balloo_2
    balloo_2 Posts: 876 Forumite
    Options
    Doh wrote: »
    ouch! just doing one myself at the mo, luckily i bought all my cupboards at the old price and with 40% discount ontop of that :) i don't think the door fronts and end panels have doubled though, the ovens i bought had gone up £20 each which i got caught out on :(

Dont you believe it Door fronts, end panels they have gone up went there today 02/02/2009 the cornice/pelmet is half price though. :mad:
    This is my post its almost exactly the same as dumbrills. :confused:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1461405
    They shouldn't be allowed to get away with it as someone said surely its against trading standards. Its against the law to put things up so that you can reduce them in a so called sale.
    The solving of a problem lies in finding the solvers.
  • TDA10
    TDA10 Posts: 355 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunately, it is perfectly legal and they aren't alone in doing it - it's just that they hope that people won't notice, and judging by the sales we've had in there lately (I'm a B&Q employee) then lots of people haven't noticed. :(

I agree that it is very unfair, and had a similar predicament to yours balloo, in that I decided to add a unit after fitting my kitchen in October, only to find that the door I wanted is now order only (used to be in the IT range, but is now Cooke and Lewis) and therefore warrants a delivery charge of £10 (yep, even staff have to pay if it's coming from the main warehouse! :eek:) and not only that but the door that originally cost me £7.20 is now (wait for it....) £22!!!!! :eek: plus the tenner for delivery!!!

The reason? It now comes with 'push to close' hinges!!! :rotfl: I'd want it to make me effing tea for that price!!! :rotfl:

So off to Ikea I went and paid just over £4 for an almost identical door.

Bl00dy con merchants!!! :D
  • TDA10
    TDA10 Posts: 355 Forumite
    Options
    Oh yep - and that £22 is a 'sale' price apparently cos it's normally £44!!!!! :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure