We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Where do I stand?

Options
I'll try and keep this short but I'm really stressed and worried and could do with some direction. I'll bullett point it to hopefully help.
T
- In Feb 2008, I take another job within the company I have worked at for over 15yrs on a fixed 6mth secondment. This means that my old job will be there for me at the end of the secondment. Someone else moves into this role on a secondment also.

- In Aug 2008, my new manager approaches my old manager to say they want to extend the secondment til Dec 4th. They agree but at this stage it becomes apparent that they have in error made the person who moved into my role permanenent when they should still be seconded. I am told to contact them in Nov and they will sort things out.

- In mid Oct I receive an email from my old manager giving the name of another manager in the company who I will work for as my old job is no longer there due to there error of making the person permanenet. I email this person to see what I will be doing.

- Unfortunatly before receiving a reply my mum dies suddenly and this really hits me for 6. My doctor signs me off sick and I'm currently receiving councelling.

- My sick note finishes next week so I arranged a meeting yesterday with my new manager to find out what I'm going to be doing etc and I can start looking positevely at getting back to work.

- In this meeting I am told the area I will be working in, but that a job for me hasn't been decided yet and as she thinks I'm still stressed I should get signed off til the new year, when my role should be clear. She then says though that in Feb I will be probably looking at redundancy as this area of the business in going through a restructure.

IS THIS FAIR??

My old job that should have been kept open for me is not at risk of redundancy so why due to their mistake should I be looking at losing my job???

I spoke to this manager today and advised the position but didn't get much from her and just feel I'm going to get pushed out.

If I am made redundant in this situation - would I have a good case for unfair dismissal???

I'm so stressed with trying to deal with the death of my mum and could really do without this. I have 4 kids to take care of and dont know what I'd do!

Its worth mentioning this company is one of the biggest in the company & I've worked there for over 15yrs with an excellent work history.

Thanks for reading - I didn't manage to keep it short - sorry!!!!

Comments

• LittleVoice
    Options
    Sorry to hear of your loss of your mother - and the thought of losing your job too makes it seem worse. Though they are not the same thing, the second can make the first more painful.

Looking at redundancies - both you and the person seconded to do your former job could form (part of) the pool from which redundancies could be made. By the same token, even if you were in your original post, you could still be a member of a pool to be considered. So from that point of view, whether you are in your former job or not doesn't make much difference. But maybe the company needs to be reminded of that.

If there is a Union involved in the workplace they may be representing other staff and could know more of what is going on. It might be worth contacting them.

Also it should not be for your employer to say you should be signed off sick until the new year - that is your doctor's job in discussion with you. It may well be a good idea to go back to work if you are actually ready. Get your feet back under the table - but I repeat that that is if you are ready.
  • CFC
    CFC Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Options
    Agree with the good advice from Littlevoice.

Go back as soon as you are ready, and remind them that you should not be the only employee heading for consultation.
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I agree with the advice you've been given to date - and certainly it is for you and you alone to decide when to go back to work. It would be rather convenient for them possibly to have you out of the way whilst they are busy "re-arranging".

What have you got in writing re your right to return to your old job? I'm just thinking that, if it were me, I would be trying to look out a letter confirming that I would be going back to my old job at such-and-such a date and that it was STILL MINE - and wondering if that would prevail against any letter the person sitting in your old job has that has given them that job. I've not been in that sort of position myself - so its just a thought, which may or may not work.

Good luck.

Take care.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family