🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Temporary car insurance over xmas

Options
Hi there

I am looking to get a nice cheap little runabout to use as a winter hack. I have a couple of years no claims from a previous 2nd vehicle - so thats not a problem.

However I would like to add my stepdaughter to the policy for the next month whilst she is back from university.
She is 18 and has 1 year no claims in her own name.
I can find insurance companies where I can add a temporary driver. Trouble is they all require her to be 21-23. She is 18.

Does anyone know a decent company we can try?
I have found one company so far but they wanted £900 for a Micra 1.0 on 3rd party cover which is very expensive as Aby can get insurance fully in her name for £450

Thanks

Phil

Comments

Quote Posts: 8,042 Forumite
    Options
    I don't really know where you'd look other than possibly somewhere on the internet or with a local broker.

The situation is, I imagine, quite unusual and insurers aren't particularly keen on having temporary vehicles with temporary drivers. Premiums are usually calculated on the basis of knowing a risk on an annual basis. As for whether £900 is expensive or "cheap", I wouldn't have the first clue. Short term insurance is obviously a minefield. How much should an insurance company charge for one day of cover? It's moot.

One option you might have is adding the vehicle temporarily to an existing policy (if you have one) and adding your daughter to that temporary cover. Alternatively you could add your daughter temporarily to an existing policy and then add the vehicle. If your insurer allows this.

You have a few options.
  • rosebarn21
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.
    I'm thinking of running it as a permanent second vehicle but would like to add Aby on for say a month over xmas and a month over summer hols.
  • tinkerbell84
    Options
    probably cheaper to add her on permanently.
  • rosebarn21
    Options
    ok cheers.

Will keep looking for the right car!
    Quote Posts: 8,042 Forumite
    Options
    It sounds like the right car. Could you use the most no claims bonus you have to insure the vehicle she drives and re-insure the "first" car with less NCB?
  • poppy_f1
    poppy_f1 Posts: 2,637 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    i know the rac do temp cover, dont know the ins and outs tho
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income