🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Away for more than 30 days

Options
Hi all,

I wonder if anybody can help. We are going away for a totla of 33 days, so I called the AA, our home insurance provider to let them know. They helpfully told me they cant insure me for the additional 3 days.

Does anybody know of a home (contents only) insurance provider that will cover us. My policy is due to end on the 22nd Dec, we go away on the 11th. i am happy to start a new policy elsewhere if need be.

What happens if we dont declare we are away for longer than 30, will we not be covered?

Thanks for your help

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think you might have difficulty.

Your options are
    1) contact an insurance broker with experience in this type of query
    2) get someone to stay at your house
    3) put your things into storage

If you don't declare it then you wo't be covered for the whole period rather than just 3 days.

Might it be worth movng your expensive items (e.g. jewlry would be easy to move) somewhere else just in case anyone (delivery man) gets an inkling that you are away
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    There are insurance companies out there that do cover more than 30 days away from home.
    There bas been a previous thread on this. Off to have a look.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • A.Jones
    A.Jones Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    Can you not get someone to visit once during that period, just to remove mail from your door mat (they can water your plants at the same time)? That is enough to be "occupied".
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    You should be able to get off the peg contents insurance which covers longer periods of absence without resorting to a broker (eg L & G allow 40 days).
  • Rikki
    Options
    M&S have extended holiday with terms but you need to phone them.

From their web site.
    1. Do you insure unoccupied homes?It is difficult to answer this question without knowing all the circumstances. If the property is going to be unoccupied indefinitely and you have no intention of taking up residency, then we could not offer cover.

2. We do not offer cover for properties that are left unoccupied for long periods of time e.g. while you are working abroad for 3 or 4 months at a time.

3. e.g. for an extended holiday would still be covered but there may be some restrictions in cover and we may have some requirements for the security of your home, so you would need to let us know.

4. Finally, if the unoccupancy is because the property concerned is a holiday home, then we would offer a quotation only on the basis that your main residence is also insured by us.

5. We cannot provide an internet quotation for a property that is unoccupied, please contact us on 0800 068 2742 to discuss your particular circumstances.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • lisyloo
    Options
    Can you not get someone to visit once during that period, just to remove mail from your door mat (they can water your plants at the same time)? That is enough to be "occupied".

Are you sure about that?
    I thinkI've read elsewhere that this woulnd't qualify, but I probably can't back it up without a lot of searching effort, so I'm just querying it.
  • Rikki
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Are you sure about that?
    I thinkI've read elsewhere that this woulnd't qualify, but I probably can't back it up without a lot of searching effort, so I'm just querying it.

I think some-one has to spend the night at the property, as in sleep there.

NPFM 21
  • lisyloo
    Options
    I think some-one has to spend the night at the property, as in sleep there.

Yes I think that's what I read (probably on this board) but don't have time to search right this minute.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport