Insurance cancellation fee query

Options
I took out home insurance with Swinton, this starts on 24th Dec and I paid over the phone but on receiving their information pack I now see the details are not the same as I had understood them to be when I spoke to someone on the phone, I want to cancel but the paperwork says they charge £45, can anyone tell me if they can charge this if the paperwork has not yet been signed and the policy has not started yet?:confused:

Comments

• olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You have 14 days in which to cancel the policy from the date you took it out. Send your cancellation letter to the company by special delivery so they cannot argue that you haven't cancelled in time.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • lardyboy91
    Options
    i work in insurance but car.we charge a time on risk for time on cover but i was under the understanding that you have a 14 day cooling off period for home insurance if it wasnt as you though on quote. look on the FSA site if you have no joy, swinton do like to charge high admin fees! everything does need to be listed so should state this on your docs
  • instaunt
    instaunt Posts: 112 Forumite
    Options
    You can still be charged, that is why they call it an "admin" fee. They have to refund your premium, as it is a financial arrangement, if you cancel in time. The admin fee is charged for the processing of your quote and backroom stuff ... the actual charge is often quite unjustifiable:

http://www.noclaimsdiscount.co.uk/news/art_display.php?show=200812061
    I've been making animations for my daughter. Tell me what you think? Search for "Where are you Pickles?" and "Pickles and the Bully" on YouTube.

picklesadventures.com/animations/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport