🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

tips for a new ebay seller

Options
hi
wondering if any1 can give me some advice im new to ebay and want to start selling what are the best things to sell
i sold some things last week but once i paid listing fees and paid for the product i was selling and then paypal fees all i made was bout £2 is that the usual outcome
any top tips and advice would be greatly appreciated
cheers
tania ;)

Comments

• jaffa30
    jaffa30 Posts: 19,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Hi

I wish i could tell you what exactly sells and what doesnt.

You need to find a place in the market for your goods.

I sell alsorts of different things , i always do a bit research on anything i buy to sell on ebay to make sure i will make money on the items.

Make sure you have a good picture of the item you are selling, if you need to add any more pictures use a photo hosting site like https://www.photobucket.com or a similar free site.

Make sure the decription is clear and lists any fault the item may have

If you havent got a set of scales in the house take the item to the PO to be weighed for a accurate price . add a bit extra on for the packaging .
    If you have scale use this site for postage costs. https://www.royalmail.com

I should have said weigh the item with all the packaging and then add a bit extra on for the cost of the packaging. ( cheers nightswimmer i should have made it a bit clearer. )

Jaffa
    R.I.P Sam, still in my heart
  • nightswimmer
    Options
    tan160581 wrote:
    i sold some things last week but once i paid listing fees and paid for the product i was selling and then paypal fees all i made was bout £2 is that the usual outcome

Apart from the excellent tips from jaffa, I would add...

Make sure you read and understand the fee structure of both PayPal and eBay. They are quite complicated, but if you can understand them, you can save a little bit of money by starting items at the best price, etc.

Make sure you know how much your item will cost to ship. Don't just weigh the item, you need to weigh it and the packaging. Also take into account the cost of packaging, and getting it to the Post Office, etc.

Do your research, and see if people are selling similar items, and if so how much for. Then use this to work out the best times to sell, the best price, or whether it is worth selling that item at all.

If you are going to be selling a lot of the same items on a regular basis, try to make sure it is something you are actually interested in. It can get very laborious selling the same items over and over again, so having an interest in the subject takes off some of that tedium.
  • jaffa30
    Options
    Nightswimmer..

You have given some very sound advice there.

Jaffa
  • pug_in_a_bed
    pug_in_a_bed Posts: 1,975 Forumite
    Options
    My advice which I'll add to the excellent tips given by jaffa and nightswimmer, is to communicate with your buyers. Nothings irks me more than having to email a seller to discover if my item has been dispatched, for instance. Just a quick email to keep your buyers informed is all thats needed, but I really feel it makes the world of difference:).

There was a useful tips thread started t'other day.....
    here it is.
  • jaffa30
    Options
    Fair Point well made Pug.

Comms with the buyer is always a good thing.

Jaffa
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills