Thermostat and TRV question

Options
Here is my set-up:

thermostat is in living room with non-trv radiator.
all other rooms have radiators with TRV's.

What happens if I set all my TRV's to 3, turn off the living room radiator and set the thermostat higher (ie. force the heating to stay on). How does the system respond when all the TRV radiators shut themselves off and the living room is still cold enough to tell the heating to "keep going"?

Thanks,
Mandy

PS. I don't want answer such as "why", just some responses that actually answer the question. Thanks!

Comments

• cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    wildmandy wrote: »
    Here is my set-up:

thermostat is in living room with non-trv radiator.
    all other rooms have radiators with TRV's.

What happens if I set all my TRV's to 3, turn off the living room radiator and set the thermostat higher (ie. force the heating to stay on). How does the system respond when all the TRV radiators shut themselves off and the living room is still cold enough to tell the heating to "keep going"?

Thanks,
    Mandy

PS. I don't want answer such as "why", just some responses that actually answer the question. Thanks!

There should be no problem whatsoever and it should work. All you'll be doing is pumping hot water around the house via the feed pipes.

Why not stick a TRV on the living room rad and get rid of the thermostat?
  • andrew-b
    andrew-b Posts: 2,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    The boiler will keep going until it reaches it's set maximum temperature and heated water will continue to circulate around the pipework. If there isn't an auto-bypass valve (an alternative means for water to circulate if there is no other place for it to go) then my understanding is that unnecessary strain would be placed on the boiler. If it's a combi boiler auto-bypass will be built into it. If it's a standard boiler a seperate auto-bypass valve should be included to deal with this situation.

Andy
  • Canucklehead
    Options
    andrew-b wrote: »
    The boiler will keep going until it reaches it's set maximum temperature and heated water will continue to circulate around the pipework. If there isn't an auto-bypass valve (an alternative means for water to circulate if there is no other place for it to go) then my understanding is that unnecessary strain would be placed on the boiler. If it's a combi boiler auto-bypass will be built into it. If it's a standard boiler a seperate auto-bypass valve should be included to deal with this situation.

Andy

That's about right, although I would add that without a bypass the pump will 'dead head' thereby stressing it .
    The system will also run continuously until the programmer (if one is fitted) switches it off.
    You need a room stat to switch the system off electrically.

Corgi Guy.
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • wildmandy
    Options
    cubegame wrote: »
    There should be no problem whatsoever and it should work. All you'll be doing is pumping hot water around the house via the feed pipes.

Why not stick a TRV on the living room rad and get rid of the thermostat?

That would be the same as leaving the thermo on high and turning the living room rad on and off manually?
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Will you be revealing your ulterior motive at some point?
    It's just that I get curious;)

Corgi Guy
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • daza747
    daza747 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Have a similar issue...
    My set up;
    1 Thermostat in diner (warmest room in house) with TRV's fitted all around all of which are linked to gas combi boiler.
    Problem I have is our diner usually nice and warm but other rooms vary with cold temp (big room with tiny rad is always cold, small room with same size rad always warm).
    My only solution is to turn rad off in the diner and make that room cold which in turn naturally triggers the thermostat to channel heat to ALL other rooms.

Silly question is it possible to have a set up whereby if 'A' room turns cold the radiator in that room only warms up to meet required temp?
    Right now all rads are governed by the thermostat in my dining room, the TRV's scattered around the house are as usefull as a chocolate tea cup in that they are doing the same job as a radiator with a +/- heat adjustment knob.

Sorry to pinch your thread but any solutions be much appreciated

Cheers
    Darren
  • red_flump
    Options
    Turn down diner rad so room heats up slowly, giving other rooms chance to get up to temp. Set TRVs in other rooms to comfortable temp, so if a room gets warm quickly the TRV will reduce its flow of water so doesn't overheat.

Red
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport