PAYPAL/EBAY £3 potentiol scam???

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
8 replies 2K views
Legacy_userLegacy_user Forumite
0 Posts
MoneySaving Newbie
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
I recently read an advert on EBAY which is included below. Is this sort of thing Illegal? As the person who wrote this rather long 'advert' preaches it is not illegal.
It all seems a little too good to be true! :-/

See advert below:
[url][/url]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30020&item=3827188277&rd=1
"I am always short of cash, and as with everyone else, wanted some. We have all seen those SCAM emails which claim to make us millions, but instead they just take our money. Well this scheme is different. You don't lose out in anyway. All you could possibly lose is £3, but that won't happen, because you will get that £3 back along with another several thousand pounds!

THE OUTLINE

Let me assure you that this is a LEGITIMATE BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY, a perfectly legal moneymaking enterprise. It does not require you to sell anything. It does not require you to speak to your friends, family or anybody else (unless you want to). In fact, you do not need to come into contact with any people what-so-ever. Anyone with a pulse can become successful and make their fortune with this system.

THIS IS THE CHEAPEST, FASTEST & EASIEST WAY TO MAKE MONEY ONLINE - PERIOD!

Remember, I am not asking you to send me a single penny for this lucrative business project. You will not be asked to buy anything or sacrifice your free time. You will make some fast and easy cash, using just a copy of this email and the simplest and most popular Internet payment system in existence!
You have most likely seen or heard about this project on TV programs such as 20/20 and Oprah Winfrey, or you may have read about it in the Wall Street Journal. If not, here it is below - revealed to you in step-by-step detail.

This program is by no means new. It has been in existence in many forms for at least ten years. But in the early days, it required a lot more time and effort, as well as an outlay of a few hundred pounds. However, thanks to PayPal and the Internet, the outlay is now virtually ZERO! On top of that, the entire process is FASTER, EASIER, and MORE LUCRATIVE than it has EVER been!

It doesn't matter how old or how young you are. And you certainly won't need any special knowledge or talent. You won't need to run a website, or make phone calls, or make photocopies, or send out letters through the mail, or pay for advertising, etc. The only things you will need are:

* An email address
* A PayPal account with at least £3 deposited in it
* 30 minutes of your time

Even if you are already involved in another program, stay with it, but do yourself a big favour and DO THIS ONE as well. You have absolutely NOTHING to lose, but you stand to gain a LIFE-CHANGING amount of money within the next few weeks! In fact, there is NO LIMIT to the amount of income you can generate from this one single business program!!

The facts are simple: If you need to make a few thousand pounds REALLY FAST, then this program is the way to do it! It's the CHEAPEST, FASTEST, EASIEST, and MOST LUCRATIVE program you will ever participate in!

HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED TO DO. . .
STEP 1

Ok, if you're not already a PayPal user, the very first thing you need to do is use the PayPal link below and SIGN UP. It takes just two minutes!
Here's the URL:

https://www.paypal.com

Be sure to use this link so you can sign up for a free PREMIER or BUSINESS account. You'll need to have a PREMIER or BUSINESS account (and not a PERSONAL account) otherwise you won't be able to receive credit card payments from other people.

STEP 2
It is an undeniable law of the universe that we must first give in order to
receive. So the first thing to do when you have your Premier/Business PayPal account is to IMMEDIATELY send a £3 payment from your PayPal account to the FIRST email address in the list below, along with a note saying: " Please add me to your mailing list." Be certain to add this note, as this is what KEEPS THIS PROGRAM LEGAL. Instructions on how to send a payment are under "SEND MONEY" at the Paypal Site. It's so Easy!!
When you send your £3 payment to the first address in the list, do it with a great big smile on your face because "as you sow, so shall you reap!"

After you have transferred a £3 payment to the email address at the top of the list, something very eerie happens. It gives you an indescribable, overwhelming sense of certainty, belief and conviction in the system. You've just proved to yourself that, because you have done it, there must be a great number of other people ready to do exactly the same. Thus you have now seen for yourself, first hand, that this business actually works!

STEP 3
Once you've sent a £3 payment to the address at the top of the list (along with your note - this is VERY important!), the next thing you need to do is to obtain a copy of this email message, as you'll be sending it out to at least 40 people. The copy that you will send out will contain YOUR unique PayPal referral URL and YOUR email address at number 5 in the list - having deleted the address at Number 1 in the list, and moving the others up a position. The easiest way to do this is to:

It doesn't work like that! If you do that, you will ONLY reach the people
you directly send emails to, and then your name will be immediately removed from the No.1 place and you won't reach thousands of people! But, if you add your name to the Number 5 position, there will be literally thousands of people receiving and sending emails later - when your name is at the Number 1 spot!!!

HERE'S HOW IT WORKS:

When you send out your emails, your email address will initially be at Number 5 in the list. That's the best position it can be in at this stage if you want to make serious money. The response-rate for this program is much higher than any typical email marketing campaign for a number of reasons, which are explained later. As long as you send your emails to people who are likely to be interested in this program, on average, you can expect a response from about 25% of the people you send to. But let's be extremely conservative here and assume that you receive an average response rate of only 12.5%. . .

If you send out your email to 40 different people, you can expect at least 5 of those people to do exactly what you did (12.5% of 40 = 5). By this time, your email address will have moved up to No.4 in the list, and this list will now have reached around 200 people (5 x 40).

Out of those 200 people, you can expect at least 25 of them to participate (12.5% of 200 = 25), so that's a further 1,000 emails (25 x 40) being sent out and your email address will have risen to No.3 in the list.
Out of those 1,000 people, you can expect at least 125 of them to participate (12.5% of 1,000 = 125), so that's a further 5,000 emails (125 x 40) being sent out with you now at the No.2 position.
Out of those 5,000 people, you can expect at least 625 of them to respond (12.5% of 5,000 = 625), so that's 25,000 emails (625 x 40) being sent out with YOUR ADDRESS at the No.1 spot!
Now, out of those 25,000 people, you can expect around 3,125 of them to respond (12.5% of 25,000 = 3,125). And since you will now be at NUMBER 1 in the list, you will receive: £9,375 (3,125 x £3).
So, when your name starts to hit the Number 1 position within the next few days, it will be YOUR turn to collect the money! Over the course of 30 days, this money will be sent to you by a few thousand people just like yourself - who are willing to invest half an hour to receive around £10,000 or more in cash! The first payments will arrive within a few days, and they will continue at the rate of about 100 payments per day for about 30 days. After that time, the volume of payments begins to taper off as your email address vacates the Number 1 position.

Replies

• SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't even give this "opportunity" a second look! Its simply a modified verisonof the Gary Rhodes letter that has been around for the last 30 years.
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    better off giving your money to charity...get the same amount of money back with the added bonus of satisfaction that you have helped some1 or something
  • So whats it about then? Seems legit to me
  • masonicmasonic Forumite
    15.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So whats it about then? Seems legit to me
    It's a pyramid scheme. To make any money from this, every person that takes part in it must recruit more than one person into the scheme. It's unsustainable. Somewhere down the line, there will be a lot of people who lose their money and get nothing in return. The people who start these things are just out to exploit the greed and foolishness of others.
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    So whats it about then? Seems legit to me

It's a plain and simple pyramid scheme and despite what the people promoting it say it is certainly not endorsed or even allowed by paypal.

Unfortunately people do still fall for this, so if you get any in your email report the sender to ebay/paypal and their ISP but as others have already said, then ignore it.

Soo
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • RAMBLERRAMBLER Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Spot on Soolin, definate pyramid scheme. So obvious, but what gets me is when it says at the top you don't have to contact any of your friends and family, unless you want to, but later says to send it out to 40 people. Who does this email have in mind - strangers or people you hate!

RAMBLER
    There is no need to run outside
    For better seeing,
    Nor to peer from a window.
    Rather abide at the center of your being.

Lao Tzu
  • This is brilliant, why it's even easier than printing your own money.

I wish I'd done it years ago. I sent of my £3 and within 21 days I had actually received back over £25,000,000 (yes that right, £25 MILLION). If everyone does it then we all egt £25,000,000; then the clever bit is to do it again!!!! (times 50).

No-one in the world will be hungry because if you want money, just email me and I'll use your name instead of mine - that way you'll get the £25,000,000.
  • tigermatttigermatt Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    masonic wrote:
    It's a pyramid scheme. To make any money from this, every person that takes part in it must recruit more than one person into the scheme. It's unsustainable. Somewhere down the line, there will be a lot of people who lose their money and get nothing in return. The people who start these things are just out to exploit the greed and foolishness of others.
    Just like annoying Chain Emails really then? (Except of course, someone gets money from this scheme)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ultrafast broadband upgrades

Being made available to more English counties

MSE News

30+ ways to stop scams

Incl tips to spot 'em & what to do if you're scammed

MSE Guides

£37 of No7 beauty products for £12

Available online and in stores

MSE Deals