Insurance trick

Options
I was in a car accident last week, the driver has admitted full liability. I informed my insurance provider and also informed them I recently obtained a speeding penalty. They immediately increased my premium by £140 and my excess increased from £250 to £750. Is this legal? I know for a fact if I had that speeding penalty when I obtained the policy, the premuim would probably have been about £20 more, if that. Can they do this?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is this legal?

If that is what they would have put in place had you declared it when you should have done then yes it is.

"Accidental" non disclosure rules, as set by the FOS, state that the company is allowed to adjust the policy and backdate the terms to what they would have offered had it been declared correctly.

You tend to find one speeding ticket, or even two doesnt make much difference to insurers pricing. Its when you get more than that the premiums or terms start get heavy. Especially when you are younger. How old are you and how many points do you have?

I know for a fact if I had that speeding penalty when I obtained the policy, the premuim would probably have been about £20 more,

If you can prove that fact with that insurer then you have a case. Perhaps test it by getting a requote giving the correct details and see what happens.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • I think you are now supposed to inform your insurance company of any points on your license etc or it can invalidate your insurance. Easy done.
    Wow, I got 3 *, when did that happen :j:T:p
    It is not illegal to open another persons mail unless you intend to commit fraud - this is frequently incorrectly posted:)
    I live in my head - I find it's safer there:p
    Quote Posts: 8,042 Forumite
    Options
    OP - Points for speeding only usually become material when the policy is due for renewal, and wouldn't change your excess during the policy year, unless you already have points on your license. Do you?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,314 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Quote wrote: »
    OP - Points for speeding only usually become material when the policy is due for renewal, and wouldn't change your excess during the policy year, unless you already have points on your license. Do you?

I would check that as my policy says in the small print that I must inform my insurers of any changes to my circumstances as soon as they occur, including any penalty notices for traffic offences or fines. (I don't have the exact wording in front of me) it then goes on to say that this might not affect my premium in any way but that failure to declare *may* invalidate my insurance. The way I read that on my policy is that I must tell them everything, apart from parking tickets!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure