🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Income Protection Insurance Premium +++

Options
Hello People,

A little advise just to make sure I'm headed in the right direction. I took out Income protection insurance in August. I just received an email yesterday stating that my premium is going to be increased by 50% due to bad market conditions by Hitachi Insurance.

I read the T&C and it doesn't even mention Insurance premium increases let alone for bad market conditions, which is why you take out such insurance anyway!!! Though there is a clause stating that they can cancel the policy with 60 days notice.

What are my options other than writing to them or the financial ombudsman...can I sue them for breach of contract, and is the cancellation clause valid under the unfair terms act, if they choose to cancel my policy instead?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    can I sue them for breach of contract?

No.
    What are my options other than writing to them or the financial ombudsman

The FOS will not review a complaint unless you have exhausted the complaints process with the company.
    I read the T&C and it doesn't even mention Insurance premium increases let alone for bad market conditions

It doesnt need to. Premiums are not guaranteed unless they say they are. This is why the plans are categorised into reviewable and guaranteed premiums. You went for one that didnt guarantee premiums and they now have to increase to cover. This is not the first company to do this and its typically been the cheaper ones that have had to do this.

its a pain for you but there is no wrong doing here.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Wutang_2
    Wutang_2 Posts: 2,513 Forumite
    Options
    I can't believe your terms and conditions didnt mention "bad market conditions"...!!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport