UKcardholder resident abroad

Options
Hello. I'm wondering if there is anyone else in the same position as me here. I moved abroad (to Sweden) 9 years ago with an existing Beneficial Bank VISA card. Beneficial definitely don't like the fact that I now reside outside the UK and would be delighted if I relinquished my card, which of course, I've no intention of doing. I am excluded from taking advantage of all the useful ideas here, like being a rate tart, as no other company will touch me as soon as they find out I live in Sweden. I once asked Beneficial if they would switch my card overdraft to a loan - carrying a much cheaper rate, in an attempt to clear it - but they said they couldn't as I'm not a UK resident. Hmmm. Now I've got it clear I'm wondering if there is anything better I might be eligible for in my circumstances.
I have tried using a UK address when applying for a different card but they wanted assurance that that is my main address and that I am a UK resident. Once you're out of the UK no banks seem to want to know. Has any other UK expat had a similar experience, any helpful suggestions, etc.,? Thanks. :o

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    mummy wrote:
    ...Beneficial definitely don't like the fact that I now reside outside the UK and would be delighted if I relinquished my card, which of course, I've no intention of doing....
    You are lucky that they don't insist in this. Most of cards have something like the following in their T&C:
    (a) At any time during this agreement either you or we can close your account by telling the other. We will give you reasonable notice before we do so.

(b) If your account is closed you must return all the cards we have issued on your account, cut in two, and repay everything you owe us under this agreement.
  • mummy_2-3_2
    Options
    grumbler wrote:
    You are lucky that they don't insist in this. Most of cards have something like the following in their T&C:
    Why? Is this what they normally do in these circumstances?
  • steverockers
    Options
    I have lived in France for 16 years but have always retained a uk address, which includes being on the electoral role. All statements etc are sent to this address by the credit card companies so I don't have a problem. It's lucky that I have a friendly ex wife! Seriously, though, being on the electoral role seems to satisfy the cc companies. However,it may be too late for Mummy to arrange something like this.
  • mummy_2-3_2
    Options
    I have lived in France for 16 years but have always retained a uk address, which includes being on the electoral role. All statements etc are sent to this address by the credit card companies so I don't have a problem. It's lucky that I have a friendly ex wife! Seriously, though, being on the electoral role seems to satisfy the cc companies. However,it may be too late for Mummy to arrange something like this.
    That was very far-sighted of you, steverockers! As an added complication, I come from the Isle of Man and some companies, like egg, won't issue cards to manx residents either because of the peculiar legal situation that arises because of the island's independence. Thank you both for your replies.
  • inmypocketnottheirs
    Options

Being on the electoral role wouldimply that you are liable for council tax etc? Have you had any problems in this regard?
    Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
    The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
    I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
  • Paul_Herring
    Options
    Being on the electoral role would imply that you are liable for council tax etc?
    Not necessarily. I rent a bedsit as my main residence, I'm on the electoral roll, and I'm not liable for council tax - my landlady is.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • njb1001
    njb1001 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I live in Germany where the idea of a credit card which you don't pay off in full at the end of a month, let alone one offering 0% is pretty much unheard of!

I have found out that The Royal Bank of Scotland have launched a 0% card here called X-cite: https://www.x-cite.de
    You can take out the amount of your current account overdraft limit - which I intend to use to pay off my credit card for 6 months, then take back off my credit card to pay of my overdraft again..... I hope it works!!
  • Doppleganger
    Options
    Hej mummy [oh, that sounds so wrong!] ;)

Like you I also I'm also an ex-pat living in Sweden however, just like steverockers above I arranged a UK mailing address before I left and use that for all applications. Have you got family/friends in the UK who would let you use their letterbox? As for T&C's that say you have to resident - pah, who reads those :rolleyes:

- Dop
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport