🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

one banking

Options
hiya everyone...

i have a current account with hsbc but im in a lot of arrears with them and need another account...

no one will give me one because of my bad credit!

i have found a company called onebanking who do not perform credit checks and they seem quite good.... but i've never heard of them before... i don't want to get conned or anything!

does anyone here use them and can tell me if they are trustworthy and a good company to use?

thanks

sarah :)

Comments

• beverleyhills
    Options
    I think that they manage your money for a monthly fee. They offer pre-paid cards.

Have you tried the Co-op
    'You can't change the past, you can only change the future' Gary Boulet.

'Show me the person who never makes a mistake and I'll show you the person who never makes anything'. Anon
  • sarah001_2
    Options
    thanks... no i did look at co-op but they dont have a branch near me so i wouldn't be able to sign forms or show ID etc....

thank you for your help :)
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    All banks offer a BASIC bank account that doesn't require credit checking ... it won't give a OD or allow credit but does allow DD and provides a cash card or some sort.

http://www.bba.org.uk/bba/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=135&a=632

http://www.moneymadeclear.fsa.gov.uk/pdfs/bank_accounts.pdf
  • storminbalder
    Options
    Sarah.

I don't bank with the Co-op, but many people do successfully without a local branch and speak very highly of their Cashminder account. You can use facilities at post offices and do the application process over the phone (apparently!).

They allow accounts for bankrupts, so I don't see that you'll have a problem.

You get a debit card too.

Clapton.

I think you'll find that credit checks are done on many (if not most or all) basic accounts.
  • storminbalder
    Options
    Oh, and please don't go for One Banking.
  • Bosie
    Bosie Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    CLAPTON wrote: »
    All banks offer a BASIC bank account that doesn't require credit checking ... it won't give a OD or allow credit but does allow DD and provides a cash card or some sort.

http://www.bba.org.uk/bba/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=135&a=632

http://www.moneymadeclear.fsa.gov.uk/pdfs/bank_accounts.pdf

I was turned down by both LTSB and Abbey for their basic accounts!
    I was told they Don't credit score BUT they still do a credit check, i checked both Experian and Equifax and they had done a full check on me, not just an ID check. I was upset with Abbey as you don't even get a flaming debit card:confused::confused: With LTSB it was a Visa Delta card (no check guarantee ) and at the time of applying I was told it could only be used at their own ATM machines to get cash out of.

I do have a Readycash account with Yorkshire Bank, they did a manual check, I got a Maestro Card with them, which is good. Only down side, they don't have many branches at all.

The Co-Op seem pretty flexible too with their basic account, they still check for Fraud, think that is with Cifas.
    HTH a little!

PS I even contacted the FSA as I felt the details on their documents were a little misleading on Basic Accounts, they rang me and said; it is still down to the bank at the end of the day and they can decline you. Some banks say: provided theyre is no fraud on your file you should be accepted? But from my experience and what I have read on the forum isn't the case.
  • cifpower
    cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
    Options
    I would opt for the Halifax Easycash. You get a Visa Electron card and the opening process is rather simple.
  • sutton111
    sutton111 Posts: 6,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i totally agree about halifax my parents opened up one of those easycash accounts fed up with co-op and with in 4 months they upgraded to an ultimate reward account and they love it. They find on-line banking easy to use.
  • sarah001_2
    Options
    thank you all for the replies!!!

really helpful bunch :-)

I will follow the advice about co-op i think, now i know i don't need a local branch!!

cheers guys!!!!!!!

have a good christmas

sarah xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 4 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business