🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Non-renewal of insurance

Options
I've just tried to not renew insurance policies for both car and contents insurance (separate companies) because I've found significantly cheaper quotes elsewhere, and couldn't believe quite how pushy they were to try and keep me! I know they've got to make an effort to keep my business, but when the new quotes I was getting were around £100 cheaper (and indeed weren't the only ones that cheaper than my renewal quote) surely that's the time to accept that they've been beaten?!? And at times like these when we're all watching the pennies I don't really mind not having all the bells and whistles on my policy if it'll save me that much.

More of a rant than anything else, but I'm also so glad that I always search around at renewal time (and generally go through this site to give :money: a bit of click-through cash as well :D)

Comments

• cogito
    cogito Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Options
    Why are you surprised? Insurers rely on customer inertia and they would have happily taken the higher price if you'd let them.
  • OxJak
    OxJak Posts: 108 Forumite
    Options
    I know they rely on us not looking around, but it's just the fact that once I tell them that I've found something that's £100 less than they're offering they try and tell me why their insurance is still so much better. Both of them all but refused to accept my non-renewal, and I've gone away from both to "compare the small print" of what I want. Which means I'll have to phone both again next week and try again.
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OxJak wrote: »
    I know they rely on us not looking around, but it's just the fact that once I tell them that I've found something that's £100 less than they're offering they try and tell me why their insurance is still so much better. Both of them all but refused to accept my non-renewal, and I've gone away from both to "compare the small print" of what I want. Which means I'll have to phone both again next week and try again.

Your too polite. I just put the phone down on them if they persist.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • daveonline
    Options
    OxJak wrote: »
    Which means I'll have to phone both again next week and try again.

Also make sure the policies aren't on auto renewal from how you paid last year.
  • Steve1981
    Steve1981 Posts: 565 Forumite
    Options
    olly300 wrote: »
    Your too polite. I just put the phone down on them if they persist.

common courtesy costs nothing now does it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport