🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Who should I complain to ?? (Norwich Union)

Options
Hi all, well we are getting a new car next week, well 5 year old but better than what we currently have and our current insurance runs out with norwich union on monday.

We rang last night to look at a new quote for the new car and its coming up at £450+ on a 5 year old scenic and the woman from bangalor (supposedly customer services) was difficult to understand and didnt seem to be able to tell us anything that wasnt on a screen right in front of her!

So this morning we are following the tips on the site doing the 3 comparisons etc and prices are coming up very much less. OK i know they may not be 100% accurate but when there is a difference of between £150 and £200 then theres quite a saving to be made.

So we rang NU again (got someone in this country) but he said a couple of things that are very annoying and i think possibly untrue?

first he was saying that cancelling the policy we may be charged (even though the renewal stuff didnt arrive here until Monday) and also that every call we make we could be charged £15 in admin???

Also he couldnt move money wise as they were the best there is but wasnt able to tell us how and we should read their leaflet! ???

anyone heard of this?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    first he was saying that cancelling the policy we may be charged (even though the renewal stuff didnt arrive here until Monday) and also that every call we make we could be charged £15 in admin???

There is a cancellation charge. So its better to let it lapse rather than cancel it. There is also admin charges although a phone call to the call centre itself shouldnt generate the charge. Only if you change the vehicle, address or level of cover typically.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I think I'd have to agree with what Quentin says - that the guy sounds as if he was referring to changes being made on the policy, but you know what you heard, I'll do a bit of digging and see if I can find out what is being said.

Becca
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    You have been mislead over the £15 charge just for ringing ring them up.

If you can be bothered, then direct your complaint at nu.

They should be concerned about what their agents tell customers, and should welcome your complaint so they can retrain the miscreant.
  • SueMaggie
    SueMaggie Posts: 2,006 Forumite
    Options
    If you are going to complain to NU try to give as much detail as you can about the date and time of any calls you're complaining about, names of staff you spoke to etc (if you were given names) as this will help NU track down call recordings.

Details of how to complain will be in your policy details and renewal pack.

Also remember that you can make a request under the Data Protection Act for material relating to yourself and this can include copies of call recordings.

Best to only do this, however, if you reach stalemate and haven't got anywhere by other means as there's a £10 charge you'd have to pay to access the material.

You'll find details on how to do this here.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Also remember that you can make a request under the Data Protection Act for material relating to yourself and this can include copies of call recordings.

The data protection act doesnt apply to complaints. So, they can, if they wish, refuse to supply information that could be used to aid you in a complaint. Its unlikely in this case but it does happen.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Donegal_Paul
    Options
    thanks all.

The problem is that i couldnt let it lapse as the renewals get sent automatically and state to renew and accept the new policy you basically do nothing. :-/

Ill have a think about complaining properly if they start messing about though, but its a time thing especially when you run your own business in the current climate, theres better and more important things i need to spend my time on.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Just tell them you don't want to renew, (then that is not a fee attracting cancellation).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport