🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

'old' egg card any good for stoozing?

Options
I (think) I have an old egg card. That is one that I opened some years ago, but have not used in around 3 years or so.

I think I read somewhere that this is a good card to have, but I can't remember the details - would be grateful if anyone knows and if it can SBT.

I can't find the old T & C's for it. I've logged into my egg account for the first time in years and had a look. When I click on 'legal info' for the card it says that there is none available online and to refer to the original printed version.

It may even be that the a/c is closed (can't remember if I closed it or not) which is why I'm wondering if it's worth worrying about. If it is closed, it does not say so online.

If this is not a good card to have, is it worth me getting an egg money one for SBT's?

Along the same lines, I was about to close my Barclays current account which has a 3.5k o/d facility. Should I retain this as a method of SBT'ing or does it not matter?

Any guidance appreciated.

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I haven't been stoozing for long enough to know what the 'old' Egg cards were capable of. However, if you can't find your old T&C's then maybe a call to Egg on 08451 233233 will help get you some.

The Egg card has an anniversary offer which, I believe, ends this year (2006) for old cardholders. This would be very useful for you if you're considering stoozing.

Egg Money is a very good card for stoozing and is, in fact, currently the only fee-free SBT card for new applicants.

With regard to your Barclay's account, I'm not sure how this could help you. Perhaps you could share your thoughts?
  • ---lee---
    ---lee--- Posts: 921 Forumite
    Options
    YB, I knew you would come to the rescue - cheers :D
    I haven't been stoozing for long enough to know what the 'old' Egg cards were capable of. However, if you can't find your old T&C's then maybe a call to Egg on 08451 233233 will help get you some.

Cheers. I've requested a limit increase, so I will see what happens with that, that is I'm expecting them to call me anyway.
    The Egg card has an anniversary offer which, I believe, ends this year (2006) for old cardholders. This would be very useful for you if you're considering stoozing.

Sounds good. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    Egg Money is a very good card for stoozing and is, in fact, currently the only fee-free SBT card for new applicants.

In that case, it sounds like I've not got much to lose if it turns out that my old account cannot be used (i.e. if it's closed).
    With regard to your Barclay's account, I'm not sure how this could help you. Perhaps you could share your thoughts?

I thought to do an SBT to your current account, you had to say it was to repay your overdraft (that's what a friend of mine told me). If that's not the case, then there is no benefit in retaining my Barclays a/c as I have recently xfered to Lloyds.

As you can tell, I'm new to this and clearly don't know what I'm talking about, so any advice is much appreciated.
  • ---lee---
    Options
    Hello,

Update, my old egg card a/c is closed :rolleyes:.
    It should still appear on my account (as it does) but I should not be able to do anything with it (which I can due to some sort of system error), but it is certainly closed and I can't do anything with it other than anoying the egg staff by requesting credit limit increases etc ;)

So at least now I know where I stand and know that I need an SBT card.

Is there any reason not to get the egg money card for stoozing? Am I correct in thinking that there are no balance xfer fees for this card and that it does SBT's?

Cheers,

Lee.
  • YorkshireBoy
    Options
    ---lee--- wrote:
    Is there any reason not to get the egg money card for stoozing? Am I correct in thinking that there are no balance xfer fees for this card and that it does SBT's?
    The only major downside to the Egg Money card is that it doesn't give you a 'stooze' itself - it's simply a free routing card for transferring money from other 0% BT cards to the stooze pot.

It's benefits & features are explained in Martin's 'Super BT's' article (look for the 'middle route') and there is a 'stoozers guide to the Egg Money card' at http://www.stoozing.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1126159522
  • ---lee---
    Options
    The only major downside to the Egg Money card is that it doesn't give you a 'stooze' itself - it's simply a free routing card for transferring money from other 0% BT cards to the stooze pot.

Understood. As far as I can see, the plan falls apart though unless you can get an SBT card which is why I'm concentrating on that first.
    It's benefits & features are explained in Martin's 'Super BT's' article (look for the 'middle route') and there is a 'stoozers guide to the Egg Money card' at http://www.stoozing.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1126159522

Cheers. Just applied online and got an error messasge at the end. 'Due to technical difficulties, we cannot proceed with your application at this time.'.

Does not say if the credit search has gone ahead, to apply again or if they will contact you. Does not even give the phone number. Tried calling but just got stuck in a huge queue.

Hopefully, the credit search has not gone ahead and I can apply again later.
  • YorkshireBoy
    Options
    ---lee--- wrote:
    Hopefully, the credit search has not gone ahead and I can apply again later.
    Your decision, but I wouldn't make another application until I'd spoken to somebody at Egg.
  • ---lee---
    Options
    Your decision, but I wouldn't make another application until I'd spoken to somebody at Egg.

I’m not known for my patience :D. Just tried again and this time it says ‘We are already processing an Egg Money application which we received from you earlier. We'll be in touch shortly, using the contact details you gave us.’.

So much for a decision in seconds…
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Don't lose faith, ---lee---! My application for Egg Money was fraught with problems incl. rejection at the first hurdle. I appealed, had very sensible discussions with the underwriters as a result, and got my card within 2 weeks of application in the end. Hang on in there! :cool:
  • ---lee---
    Options
    innovate wrote:
    Don't lose faith, ---lee---! My application for Egg Money was fraught with problems incl. rejection at the first hurdle. I appealed, had very sensible discussions with the underwriters as a result, and got my card within 2 weeks of application in the end. Hang on in there! :cool:

Thanks Innovate.

Will do. I remember reading your thread about it - at least you got there in the end.

I rang Egg earlier. When they could eventually trace my application, I was told that it's gone for manual checks so may take upto 2 days for a decision.

I think this is probably something to do with my egg account details which seem to be something of a mess with the old egg card half open or something but without a limit.

I can’t imagine that they will have a problem with it. I’ve had a high limit with them in the past and they had plenty of interest off me in the bad old days before I knew any better.

If it does not work out, I will just leave things for a while. I’ve been doing a lot of financial tidying up lately which has led to me closing accounts and cards that I no longer use and opening others so I will have a hell of a lot of searches on my file at the moment.

Cheers,

Lee.
  • ---lee---
    Options
    Egg called me today. They explored my finances and decided to bestow the honour of the card on me :T .

Only a 5k limit, but I don't suppose it matters if it's only going to be a 'mule' (hope that's the right term). They said I would be able to increase the limit in a few months.

So now for the next step, which card(s) to build up the stooze on. All suggestions welcome. I've seen the tables on http://www.stoozing.com/ but as always I'm still interested in peoples opinions, hence the post.

Cheers,

Lee.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills