We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

R U Buying Annual rail card in Month or Two?

Options
sdd7677
sdd7677 Posts: 128 Forumite
Hi All,

I hope this will help commuters to save 10-100's of pounds. As the railfare increase every year by around 6% in january, which is going to be same from next 2nd January 2009. So If your annual ticket expires in january (or even for some people in february) it's worth looking how much fare rise going to be. My exmaple is as under

My wife travels on south eastern from Chatham to london bridge using annual gold card which cost us last year £ 2400(2007 price as used same trick which i am going to mention) having expiry date 3/4th january 2009. Looking to www.nationalrail.co.uk season ticket calculator i found that the price from 2nd jan 2009 going to be £ 3020, so if i buy season ticket from 4th january, it will cost us about £300 more. So, we bought ticket from 1st january(even i am aware i am loosing 3 days of travel but worth for about £300). Also paid by AMEX cashback(5%) card that we just got and she is going to get loan from work(interest free !!!)...

So, its worth trying for you to check on calculator using different dates to get cheap deal and worth considering !!!

I hope you are not bored with my long post

Sandip
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills