Best Student Accounts

Options
I'm going to back to Uni at 28 and need to open a student account. I'll be getting a bursary from the NHS, but as I have some cc debts elsewhere a good 0% OD account would help to make the monthly payments to my debts while I study and work.

I've looked around and looks like Barclays, Halifax and Lloyds look like good ones. Do anyone know what they are like?

My first student account at 18 was with HSBC and was ok, but I moved away from HSBC years ago and wouldn't want to go back.

Also, can you have a c/a and a student account? I know you can only have one student account, but obviously I will still have bills and commitments in my existing c/a.

Comments

• skyrider007
    skyrider007 Posts: 1,108 Forumite
    Options
    NatWest is good for students. If your credit is good, Halifax may provide you with a generous interest-free overdraft.
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Depends what you need.

Lloyds gave me £75 cash when I signed up to them. HSBC then automatically upgraded my account :confused: so I have 2 (technically not allowed but meh). But I use both accounts regularly anyway so its not all bad!

Didn't go for natwest as I don't have any need for railcard or whatever.

Halifax give upto £3k but I don't know anyone (and noone on this board) has ever said they got it, they are very strict and only give out very small ODs. But if you got amazing credit rating and a partime job you can most probably get it. Might be worth going in and asking the requirements for the whole £3k.
  • ScottyBoy_2
    Options
    When I was at University I had a Halifax Student Account and to be fair it was excellent and I had no issues with it but I never really 'maxed it' so to speak.

I think they still offer up to 3k interest free overdraft, but in these current times that might have changed.

In my option its worth checking.
    Debt Free since March 2008
    Thank you Martin Lewis !
  • Kavanne
    Kavanne Posts: 5,093 Forumite
    Options
    SparciaM wrote: »

Also, can you have a c/a and a student account? I know you can only have one student account, but obviously I will still have bills and commitments in my existing c/a.
    You can have as many normal current accounts as you like :)
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

'I do my job, do you do yours?'

• chickenboy
    Options
    I went back to uni at the age of 30 last year and my bank has just noticed! They are reducing my overdraft etc, so I'll be changing to their student account or going elsewhere.

But right now if you still have a job and income, you should apply for some credit cards. I'm not saying you should use them, but I don't think you'll be able to get *any* when you have no income.
  • itsnothing
    Options
    Halifax still gives up to 3k overdrafts, the amount that you can have is based on what year into the course you are in, if any grants are paid into the account and that it is being used regularly.
  • skint-student-nurse
    Options
    Hi,
    I found natwest are great and also provide a good overdraft and are quite leanient with fees. however, they are a bit stingy when it comes to giving credit cards i found but out of lloyds - where i had my first student account with - and natwest, i would choose natwest. :D
    ;)
  • Mike1989
    Mike1989 Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    Totally depends on what you want and what you need.

If you need the largest possible overdraft then try the Halifax as they can give you up to £3000, not sure what the other banks give you, but, it did seem to be the largest of the overdrafts. Decent service, however, they might be merging with Lloyds so not sure how they will affect any overdrafts which people gain which are larger than what they offer.

If you are traveling in then go for Natwest, that is if you are going by train. Free rail card, not sure what the age restrictions on it are, but it is one of the better freebies although don't go with a bank purely for freebies. But Natwest are all around, at the most unis according to their site than any other bank. So might be a decent choice as they do offer a decent overdraft. Also come high up on the service, best that offer a student account is co-op, then RBS, then Halifax, then Natwest. Abbey are rated the worst, Barclays and HSBC only come slightly better. So Natwest is looking a decent possibility as I'm considering moving there.

But depends on what you want and need. If you want the largest possible overdraft, try Halifax as you might get the biggest from them, might being the keyword. If you want a freebie such as at train card, go Natwest. But my advice would be Natwest or Halifax, both offer decent overdrafts and have good customer service.
  • Kavanne
    Kavanne Posts: 5,093 Forumite
    Options
    Natwest are no longer offering the 16-25 railcard with student accounts, that is only for accounts opened between 09Jun and 31Oct. You can still have an interest free overdraft though.
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

'I do my job, do you do yours?'

• rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Options
    Mike1989 wrote: »
    But Natwest are all around, at the most unis according to their site than any other bank.

Personally, I think this is something that Natwest push, but I don't think it's actually that much of a benefit to most people. I hardly ever go into my bank. I can withdraw cash from any ATM. Student loans/wages etc will go in automatically. I can do transfers online or on the phone. For modern day students, what's the big benefit of having a branch on campus?

Anyway, on the odd occasion that you do need a branch, every town that has a university also has a Halifax/Lloyds/Barclays/...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure