Had NCB longer than licence?

Options
I'm due to renew my car insurance in December and when I use the websites recommended on MSE, I am unable to get an accurate quote because I will have 2 years NCB in December, but will only have held a licence for 1 year 8 months.

Does anyone know any sites that allow me to input a NCB that is higher than the time I have held my licence? In the past I've inputted my details then had to phone up.

Thank you :)

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i think you will always need to phone as many insurers wont recognise your NCB on their systems
    since until you pass your test you are always under supervision so they may view you as really having 0 NCB in real terms
  • sophisticated.
    Options
    Sorry I think you saw my post before I edited, I only had 4 months NCB as a provisional licence holder :)

I also have a silly question that I've thought of whilst reading through this board - I changed insurer after my first year, will probably be changing again this year. Will I need to get proof of NCB from my previous insurer and my current one, or will my current insurer give proof that I have 2 years NCB?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    it depends on your insurer,though the last couple of years my insurers have requested proof. your present insurer should provide proof of 2 years if they accepted 1 year when you took the policy
    before that i dont think i was asked for about 5 years. maybe because i was out of the country for a bit
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry I think you saw my post before I edited, I only had 4 months NCB as a provisional licence holder :)

I also have a silly question that I've thought of whilst reading through this board - I changed insurer after my first year, will probably be changing again this year. Will I need to get proof of NCB from my previous insurer and my current one, or will my current insurer give proof that I have 2 years NCB?

it depends if a new insurer will want to see confirmation of NCB, ive got 9 years and when i got insurance from direct line they wanted confirmation of my ncb from my previous insurer
    Quote Posts: 8,042 Forumite
    Options
    OP - are you talking about annual or ten month policies?
  • sophisticated.
    Options
    Annual policy
  • gaz_jones
    gaz_jones Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    Options
    I have the exact same problem. When I turned 17 (february some years ago) I got a car and my own insurance but didnt have a license. Didnt get my license until may that year so when I tried to renew my insurance in February no companies would understand how I had a years no claims.

Almost at 3 years NCB now =) Fingers crossed LOL
    This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • sophisticated.
    Options
    To answer my own question...confused.com allows you to put in more NCB than years of having a licence.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure