Unemployment Insurance - will they pay?

This is a bit long winded - husband was made redundant two months ago, he managed to get another job, and started on the following Monday. Now, after two months in this new job his employer has told him he will have to 'let him go'.

His employer refuses to give an explanation and says that in the first 12 months of employment he is not bound to give a reason to anyone. It is in the offer of employment that one weeks notice can be given in the first 6 months.

My husband says that there is no business coming in to the company. Without customers there is no work for him to do, he is sure that this is the reason for being sacked - no suggestion has been made that he is not doing the job properly, just that business isn't coming in fast enough.
:confused:
His employer says that he will not make him redundant because that would stop him employing someone else before 6 months. Business could upturn.

We have paid into an unemployment insurance for years - will we be able to claim since he won't be given a reason for him being laid off like this?

We are so afraid this policy won't pay out, we have no idea what to do if it doesn't.

Can anyone help, has this happened to anyone else?
:confused:
Many thanks.

Comments

Quote Posts: 8,042 Forumite
    Without knowing the terms of the cover your husband has I think it's pretty much impossible to answer your first question.

I hope he manages to find another job soon.
  • Thanks for your reply,
    I know the question is a bit ambiguous, sorry. The cover won't pay out for 'gross misconduct' which of course has not happened, or 'incompetence', but this hasn't been mentioned at all either. I am just afraid that with the employer refusing to give a 'reason' for the termination - that we will be turned down. I guess we just have to try and claim and then go from there, just being truthful is all we can do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure