Help Please USB Ports not working

Hi i was wondering if anyone could help,
My son has done something to my PC, he connected the Usb cable of my printer to 2 USB ports on my Pc, it crashed, i have it running but no usb ports work now.
Is this a major issue or can it be fixed easily at home.
Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated Thanks

Comments

• fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,806
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    All USB host controllers should be able to limit the current flow on the USB ports to prevent damage. Typically if they detect an over-current condition they will shut down and won't restart until the PC is rebooted.

Have you tried rebooting already?
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Also try a complete power disconnect for a couple of minutes then turn on again.
  • thanks for all of the above info,
    he crashed it about 6 weeks ago, i reboted and have tried front and back ports none of them work
  • aliEnRIK
    aliEnRIK Posts: 17,741
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Uninstall the usb drivers in 'DEVICE MANAGER'
    It should reinstall the drivers and hopefully your away
    :idea:
  • blingbabe
    blingbabe Posts: 254 Forumite
    hi thanks, i have gone into the device manager it says they are all working except the audio part which says error 10.
    when i plug in my digi camera i cannot access it as in my computer all the usb sections have gone, does this make sense.
  • fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,806
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Yes - I've seen this several times recently. The USB ports appear fine in Device Manager but don't work or only work intermittently.

Do as the alien suggests and uninstall all of the USB devices (there may be 8 or so) then reboot. They should be detected and the drivers re-installed.

In the unlikely event that he has caused damage to the ports, you can fix that by buying and fitting a USB card - a 4-port one should be less than a tenner.

The error on the audio device is almost certainly unrelated, but worth fixing, as having the wrong driver installed can cause other problems (e.g. occasional blue screens...)
  • Hello there,

I have seen this problem many times.

If ALL USB ports are not working then maybe you have a port with bent pins. Inspect each USB port and make sure the pins are not bent and shorting against something.

You will find as soon as you find the faulty port, all the ports will start working.

However, like the other posts to the thread it could be a software related problem.
    This british heart foundation needs you.

Click below to make a donation:
    https://www.bhf.org.uk/donate/donate_online.aspx
  • blingbabe
    hi i tried the above by unistalling & reinstalling the software but its still not working, i have inspected the pins they seem fine, is there any free audio software i can download?
  • blingbabe
    it says there is a sound device problem or it is not installed any help would be appreciated
  • aliEnRIK
    aliEnRIK Posts: 17,741
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Bling
    Im a little lost as to what your asking. I assume the USB ports still dont work? Why are you asking about audio software, and audio software to do WHAT exactly? And WHAT says theres a sound device problem?
    :idea:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport