Cleaning a leather suite?

Options
I have just bought a black leather suite any tips on how to clean it/ general care etc. Already have sticky finger marks showing

Comments

• Valley's_girl
    Options
    I have got a black leather and I use baby wipes. I find they are great.
    ally
    Official DMP Mutual Support Club Member No 30
  • moneysaver
    Options
    Use proper leather cleaning products, it will nourish & keep it looking good. We use Wheelers pedigree leather cleaning mouse, we buy it from John Lewis, but I am sure you could source it from elswhere if you have no JL near you.

Moneysaver
  • Broadsword
    Options
    I find upholstery kits very expensive especially when bought from the upholstery retailers. There are many types of ungent. Cleaners which just clean, feeders which feed the leather but clean less well, and gloss enhancers which give a shine.Some multi purpose products do a bit of each. I find that for cars and upholstery in the home, tack shops (those horsey item places) have great ranges usually in larger than normal containers and at value prices. Choose one that does what you want it to do and one that smells nice. Remember to use a soft cloth. Microfibre would be fine.
  • Smithers_uk
    Options
    We use a leather cleaner & feed from a Tack shop (Horse shop) as they are usally cheaper than the normal high street shops and are fair better
  • mariejader
    Options
    baby wipes also in our house, been using them for years never had problems
  • TotallyBroke
    TotallyBroke Posts: 1,540 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Baby wipes are good for the cleaning.
    Then check 1st (Kim and Aggie tip) in case I am wrong. If you spray hairspray over a duster and wipe over, it makes cleaning next time so much easier.
  • annieR
    Options
    Baby wipes are not safe to use on leather as they break down the finish on the leather over time. Unfortunately some advice given by the queens of clean is misleading and can do damage. Hairspray contains alcohol which will also damage the finish on the leather and can also attract more dirt which will cause cracking etc. To make cleaning easier it is better to use a leather protecotor which will also be good for the leather.
  • gossfam1
    gossfam1 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Honestly, the best thing to use is just a lightly damp cloth.
    We have a very high quality leath sofa from Natuzzi and they told us that over time leather cleaners block the pores in the leather, (as it's a natural product). A slightly wetted piece of kitchen roll is all you need to keep it looking great for years to come!
    Do not use baby wipes...as others have said the chemical will break down the leather over time...
  • WebJunkie007
    Options
    A mate and myself bought near identical leather sofas from the same retailer about five years ago - they used babywipes to clean their sofa and because I'm totally cheap I used a duster and warm damp towels to wipe up any stains.

I have to say that in seeing how the two sofas have aged over time, I would never use babywipes on my own, even if I wasn't cheap!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure