Pruprotect

i have pruhealth medical insurance and i am interested in their pruprotect policy. i would probably get to the a level qualifying for the additional discount available when you hold both policies.

i asked my IFA to look at this when doing his comparisson. i have assumed he will look at more than 1 policy/provider. he says he is unaware of it and hasn't used it in the 3 years he has been practicing. should i be worried by this?

we have just bought a flat and as i understand it we should take life assurance and income protection. i am interested in CI - pruprotect seems to combine both CI and life assurance - my IFA kinda went for the hard sell with income protection.

is pruprotect a good product or are all CI/lifeinsurance policies much the same? i am aware that i may be focusing too much on a potential extra discount. i know cheaper may not always be better.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,342 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Prudential broke an unwritten rule a few years ago and alienated a lot of IFAs. Many of whom stopped using them for business. At the same time, Pru adjusted their product and pricing and it ceased to be as competitive for a few years. So, it doesnt surprise me to see the IFA having to look into it. Its been about 5 years since my company has done a Pru protection policy as they just dont come out top.
    my IFA kinda went for the hard sell with income protection.

Income protection should be prioritised before CI cover and the IFA is quite correct to encourage you to look at this. What you may perceive as hard sell is actually the person giving you advice on what is best. PHI pays less commission than CI so its clearly not a sales pitch as he would be doing himself out of earnings assuming you are looking at commission basis and not fee basis.
    is pruprotect a good product or are all CI/lifeinsurance policies much the same? i am aware that i may be focusing too much on a potential extra discount. i know cheaper may not always be better.

They are not all the same. You have the initial differences of guaranteed and reviewable premiums. You also get those that stick to the ABI minimum standard for CI cover and those that go further and add other things in as well.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure