limited vision in one eye?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
2 replies 902 views
deb68_2deb68_2 Forumite
302 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
Hi
I was wondering if having a very small amount of vision in one eye or sometimes no vision at all in it, does that make someone visually impaired?
thank you all in advanse
take care
It's an honour having such a lovely family and being welsh, what more could a girl want :rotfl:

Replies

• purplecatloverpurplecatlover Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    not in a disabled sense i dont think.

and my opticians have never mentioned it apart form they cant do anything much about the vision in my bad eye, but every time i go to the she reminds me to be sure and wear my glasses for cleaning or gardening or anything as if i lost the sight in my good eye then my vision would be bad enough to count as legally blind.
  • allydowdallydowd Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can read about being registered as either severely sight impaired (blind) or sight impaired (partially sighted) on the RNIB website:

RNIB link

It maybe possible to get the consultant to register you as partially sighted but it depends on your particular impairment.

However, many places will accept the loss of useful sight in one eye as sufficient to qualify for discounts, special assistance and so on. So, if you went into a shop and said "I need someone to help me with my shopping" you could probably get help without needing to prove anything.

You would also be protected by the Disability Discrimination Act if your sight is so bad that ONE of these applies and if your sight is likely to be the same or worse for the next year:

*inability to see to pass the eyesight test for a standard driving test
    *difficulty recognising by sight a known person across a moderately-sized room
    *inability to distinguish any colours at all
    *difficulty reading ordinary newsprint
    *difficulty walking safely without bumping into things

Hope this helps...

Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: £1400

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ultrafast broadband upgrades

Being made available to more English counties

MSE News

30+ ways to stop scams

Incl tips to spot 'em & what to do if you're scammed

MSE Guides

£37 of No7 beauty products for £12

Available online and in stores

MSE Deals