How to get help from medical professionals

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
8 replies 1K views
GemmzieGemmzie Forumite
14.9K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
I'm at a loss :confused:

My GP surgery aren't helpful at all because I can rarely even get an appointment. The gastro doc has discharged me with a fluffy diagnosis. The (NHS) dietician is hopeless, the appointments are about ten minutes and the exclusion diet hasn't helped at all.

I just don't know what to do, when I'm really sick I don't have the energy to fight and when I'm feeling better I don't want to spend my time thinking about being ill and it's hard to diagnose when the symptoms are calmer.

Any advice at all? Can someone advocate for me or something?

I'm really ready to give up :(
No longer using this account for new posts from 2013

Replies

• Have you considered approaching the trust's "PALS"? patient liason service?
    their address should be given to you on request by your local hospital trust or P.C.T...(primary care Trust).
    also you could approach C.A.B who may be able to offer you some support, failing that, see if your consultant has a nurse specialst who you should be able to get an appointment with.
    also you should be able to contact your consultants secretary to arrange another appiontment with your consultant or his registrar to go over your case.
    let me know how you get on please:)
    HTH

And please don't give up. I know you may feel that way but YOU are an important person who needs further information in order to take some control of your life and symtoms..You ARE WORTH IT:) big hugs and strength.
    xxx
    when things go wrong, Don't go with them!
  • hardpressedhardpressed Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear you're having problems. I wonder if it's worth writing to your doctor and explaining the difficulties you're having, hopefully they will take notice and give you some more help. Sometimes it's easier to put it down in writing than trying to explain it in person.
  • my top tips for getting appointments:
    with the gp, most now offer telephone consultations (although they often call them different things). normally you call the surgery and the gp rings you back (almost always the same day, normally as soon as clinic ends).
    If you are not keen on your gp, its worth trying each doctor in the practise to see if there is one you prefer (or is more sympathetic) personally I find the younger doctors to be more openminded.

With the hospital, call and ask to speak to the consultants secretary, they are often very helpful and can often get your appointment bumped forward, or speak to the consultant with your query (my consultant sometomes rings back personally). The secratary is in a powerful position so try to foster a good relation with them as its worth its weight.
    Remeber if you are not happy with your consultant you are entitled to a second opinion and either the gp or the consultant themself can offer suggestions for a referal.

pals are also a great service and will take your concerns seriously so get in touch with them.
  • BigglesBiggles Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You need to keep going back to your GP. If he sees you once and you don't come back, he's entitled to assumed the problem is sorted in some way. It's not wrong, it's human nature - he's not going to ring and say, 'by the way, I just wondered how you were getting on'.

If you go back and explain how things are going and ask for more help, he'll soon realise it's not sorted and he will have to try other things.
  • GemmzieGemmzie Forumite
    14.9K Posts
    Biggles wrote: »
    You need to keep going back to your GP. If he sees you once and you don't come back, he's entitled to assumed the problem is sorted in some way. It's not wrong, it's human nature - he's not going to ring and say, 'by the way, I just wondered how you were getting on'.

If you go back and explain how things are going and ask for more help, he'll soon realise it's not sorted and he will have to try other things.

I've been to the GP several times, over the past 18 months and my registered GP has been really helpful with other matters.

I think PALS might be the way to go. Thanks guys
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
  • allydowdallydowd Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    You might also want to contact one of these associations. They may have an advocacy service. Many also deal with people who have "fluffy diagnoses"!:

Crohns Association link

Digestive Disorders Foundation link

Irritable Bowel Syndrome Network link

SHS International link

Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: £1400

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • colin13colin13 Forumite
    1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Gemmzie wrote: »
    I've been to the GP several times, over the past 18 months and my registered GP has been really helpful with other matters.

I think PALS might be the way to go. Thanks guys

some time annoying the docs with trivial thing tht u put up with on day 2 day basis is the only way docs relaise how ur suffering ,I have MS and for years i put up with niggily things as part of my illness,,but when I went to doc a cpl of times about same thing I got refered, and now those problems r under control
  • zzzLazyDaisyzzzLazyDaisy Forumite
    12.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    colin13 wrote: »
    some time annoying the docs with trivial thing tht u put up with on day 2 day basis is the only way docs relaise how ur suffering ,I have MS and for years i put up with niggily things as part of my illness,,but when I went to doc a cpl of times about same thing I got refered, and now those problems r under control

I agree with this - I have chrohns disease, by the time I was diagnosed I was in a bad way and had to have emergency surgery. The surgeon told me that I must have had it for at least ten years before diagnosis. So do keep going back to your GP and make sure he understands just how this is affecting you, and how often.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals