An Open Letter To Mortgage Brokers.

Options

Comments

• EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Options
    minimike2 wrote: »
    But you MUST be qualified AND regulated to offer "advice" on mortgages.

Martin is neither.

Martin doesn't offer "advice".:rolleyes: He offers journalistic information and opinion.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • Chez_Guevara
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    I had a life company rep visit a few months back about a new product. After letting me know the features, she went on to give the commission terms. I said I didnt care as it was the features and terms that mattered. Her response was that most IFAs said that but most mortgage advisers didnt want to know the features, just what the commission was.

Can't speak for most mortgage advisers, but only for myself. The only reps that try that on with us are the ones who sell Accident, Sickness & Unemployment policies - and that's a throwback to the door-to-door sales techniques: "John at no 5 and Margaret over at 17 think this policy is great"

It's the old 'are we salesmen or are we advisers' ploy. Whilst we work on a commission basis, it's hard to see where the lines are crossed. And then you talk about fees... but there's always someone willing to do it for 'commission only' or the banks saying 'we don't charge fees', which makes it an uneven playing ground. Don't know what the answer is, to be honest.
  • taxi73
    taxi73 Posts: 20,815 Forumite
    Options
    Death threats to Martin...there was no need for that and it just shows up the bad apples amongst the brokers.
    I have used a mortgage broker for my mortgage both for the original mortgage and the subsequent remortgages.He has always listened to what I require and come up with the best deals.I have never had to pay him any fees but if I needed to I would've done as he has always got me very good deals.I'm on a lifetime tracker now and will probably not need to use him again.He is worth his weight in gold.
    I feel sorry for the lack of business for the genunely good brokers but have no sympathy for the brokers that are out to sell customers mortgages that they don't really want just so they can make a larger commission.I have nothing but contempt for those that are treating Martin awfully.
    The recession isn't his fault...afterall a lot of brokers and banks pushed liar loans and it'sall coming back to bite people on the bum.
    The amounts the first mortgage broker was going to put through for me to borrow was terrifying on my income and would've been unaffordable.So I went to another broker (the honest one I've used ever since)....
    The honest ones on here that give there time are a great addition to the site vand I don't see why everybody can't work side by side.
  • minimike2
    minimike2 Posts: 2,210 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    EdInvestor wrote: »
    Martin doesn't offer "advice".:rolleyes: He offers journalistic information and opinion.

And Im sure the millions of people who listen to him see it that way too. :rolleyes:
  • payless
    payless Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    To be honest and frank and this will irritate some mortgage brokers, I have been concerned that there are too many low skilled, commission hungry, layabouts on the mortgage side that are damaging reputations that had been improving. IFAs have suffered with sales reps, salesforces and those joining from closed salesforces but failing to upskill. However, mortgage advisers have suffered with an influx of greedy idiots who dont care about the job. These people damage the reputation not only of other decent mortgage advisers, but all other adviser types as well as the public often cant tell the difference.

As mortgage broker unfortunately - I have to agree with the above , there are a wide boys in the industry - some employed ( or were before the crunch) by the "national salesforces" and others running there own business . I've been on seminars and roadshows , and the way I hear some brokers talk about how they treat their clients are dreadful.

the big players though always make sure that there backs are covered.

Perhaps its time RDR was introduced for mortgages - greater level of qualification , and products priced from providers without in-built commission ( therefore priced cheaper than direct ) but with the option for brokers to charge either direct or as a loading.

lethal0r
    I never said it was an easy job. My point is that you can become a mortgage broker in a few months, with a little extra knowledge and that a broker is not some sort of mortgage sage who can offer a level of advice unparalled by non-brokers, as some on here seem to think.

Martin always qualifies the advice he offers and always says speak to a broker as well!

Takes years of experience to become a " mortgage sage" !... too many big brokers are happy to let new advisers just go through the motions on the end of a phone- although does not do too much harm in most cases ... but whether its ultimately the best is really unknown.
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • koexelek
    koexelek Posts: 7,847 Forumite
    Options
    payless wrote: »
    As mortgage broker unfortunately - I have to agree with the above , there are a wide boys in the industry - some employed ( or were before the crunch) by the "national salesforces" and others running there own business . I've been on seminars and roadshows , and the way I hear some brokers talk about how they treat their clients are dreadful.

There seem to be two ways a broker can operate..

1) Fleece the customer for as much as you can on a one hit basis, and hope they never catch up with you

2) Treat the customer with the same level of care you would give to your own mortgage, always be 100% honest( even if it costs you money) and rely on their continued loyalty and referrals.

I am firmly in the second category,but I know quite a few brokers in category one, who earn far more than I do.

I can sleep at night though ;)
    I am a Mortgage adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The RDR should be extended to mortgage advice. After all, the RDR is about raising standards and why should mortgage advisers be exempt from that. However, part of it is indirectly with the removal of indemnity commission. Many of these wide boys rely on that and it will probably see the end of some of them as they wont want to stick out the 4 years or so to get paid.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Leighthal
    Options
    Martin,can you Sue?
    In an Acapulco hotel:
    The manager has personally passed all the water served here.:rotfl:
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just to say I've updated the first post to answer some questions.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • maveli
    maveli Posts: 590 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Looks like the death threat really worked. Martin's update got 'GO TO BROKER' in every paragraphs. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure