Help Needed-car Insurance

Im insured fully comprehensive which means i have the use of other cars as long as they are insured by their owner. i recently had my vehicle stolen and have just completed my claim. Im wondering if im still insured to drive my Dads car which is fully insured. Im still paying my insurance policy via direct debit for the car i no longer have. any help will be much appreciated

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    i would have thought that you would still be insured to drive. Im sure someone with more knowledge that me will soon be along to correct me if i am wrong.

You may already know this but if you drive anyone elses car you are driveing under third party rules and not fully comp. under the insurance. Sorry if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs but some people really have no idea.

regards
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • yeah i realise i would be covered third party. just want to make sure im insured though,cos ive got the olds nagging me about it
  • The best thing to do if ever unsure, is to contact your insurance company and ask them the question.... all companies can be different, and it is always best to check directly with them.
  • darich
    darich Posts: 2,145 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    scholester wrote: »
    Im insured fully comprehensive which means i have the use of other cars as long as they are insured by their owner.

Having fully comp insurance doesn't necessarily mean you can drive others third party. Many companies have removed this especially for younger drivers.
    You may well be covered but it's worth checking.

I'd also check if you are actually still insured.
    If you have a claim in, then they're presumably going to pay out and effectively the contract is terminated. The fact that you're still paying by direct debit is a completely different matter. If they pay out then you'll either have to continue to pay the dd until the entire premium is paid or they'll deduct any outstanding premium from the payment to you and you'll receive the balance.

I think you have a couple of questions to ask your insurance company.

Keen photographer with sales in the UK and abroad.
    Willing to offer advice on camera equipment and photography if i can!
    Quote Posts: 8,042 Forumite
    The best thing to do if ever unsure, is to contact your insurance company and ask them the question.... all companies can be different, and it is always best to check directly with them.
    I disagree.

The best thing to do, if you can, is to get yourself named on the policy in question so you can take advantage of full policy cover.

Driving other cars is a contingency cover. It's not carte blanche to jump into any car you like and drive it as far as you like. I would just about allow someone to MOVE my car on a DOC extension, but I wouldn't let them drive it any distance.
  • raskazz
    raskazz Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    scholester wrote: »
    Im insured fully comprehensive which means i have the use of other cars as long as they are insured by their owner. i recently had my vehicle stolen and have just completed my claim. Im wondering if im still insured to drive my Dads car which is fully insured. Im still paying my insurance policy via direct debit for the car i no longer have. any help will be much appreciated

Usually when the car which is the subject-matter of insurance has been disposed of/is a total loss/is stolen and unrecovered all policy benefits cease.

Thus if your vehicle has been stolen and is unrecovered then I suspect you are not covered to drive any other cars until a substitute vehicle has been placed on the policy (or you recover your car and take it back into your possession).

As jeanette251978 points out, the easiest way is to call your insurer and ask them! Or at least tell us which insurer yuo use so that we can check the policy wording.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Quote wrote: »
    I disagree.

The best thing to do, if you can, is to get yourself named on the policy in question so you can take advantage of full policy cover.

Driving other cars is a contingency cover. It's not carte blanche to jump into any car you like and drive it as far as you like. I would just about allow someone to MOVE my car on a DOC extension, but I wouldn't let them drive it any distance.

excellent post quote, and a very good idea
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport