BMi Baby Multiple Credit Card Charge

Options
Last week I pre booked 18 flight tickets, split into in two groups of 8 and 10 persons on the internet direct with BMi Baby. When I came to pay for the tickets I was given three options, debit card, credit card and switch. I sellected the debit card option incuring a charge of £7.50 for each of the two seperate transactions, or so I thought. When I checked my payment details I found that the airline had debited a credit fee of £7.50 for each passenger, not for the two individual transactions.

I have written to the airline but based upon comments I have read about the lack of customer services or care at BMi Baby, I doubt if I will even receive a reply. I would like to ask where do I go from here; are the 19 multiple charges for using my credit card just twice legal and can I challenge this unfair charging policy?

Sea Eagle

Comments

• exel1966
    exel1966 Posts: 4,978 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes it perfectly legal and it's not unfair ! Granted, it's not cheap but the airfare is. That's what some airlines charge, even BA charges a credit card fee. Booking in two groups makes no difference, than booking individually.

All bookings and changes made using a credit card are subject to a processing fee of £3.50 per passenger per one way flight. Bookings made using a debit card are subject to a processing fee of £2.50 per passenger per one way flight. There is no charge for payments made using a bmibaby Mastercard credit card.

HERE

None of your figures add up ! 18 pax/19 charges ? £7.50 for each ?

If you had selected the debit card option you would have paid £37.00 for a one way flight/£74.00 for a return flight, therefore £2.50 per flight per person.

If you had selected the credit card option you would have paid £63.00 for a one way flight/£126.00 for a return, therefore £3.50 per flight per person.

Where do you get £7.50 for each as the max it could be is £7.00 ?

Your complaint will fall on deaf ears so don't waste your time and money contacting them.
  • NickX
    NickX Posts: 3,046 Forumite
    Options
    Ryanair operate like this aswell.

Whilst it appears to be legal at present, it is also known that "admin" charges should be relative to the cost of processing that piece of administration.

Clearly charging per flight, per passenger when a single transaction is processed is not relative to the cost of processing the single transaction.

In my opinion it is sneaky and a ploy by the budget airlines recoup some of the losses they incurr by offering particularly cheap fairs.

I believe that in time these charges will be challenged and they will be forced to become more transparent in their advertising, such that the headline fares will have to increase and "admin" fees will have to become relative to the processing cost and not clear profitering as they are in this case.
  • exel1966
    exel1966 Posts: 4,978 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    NickX wrote: »
    In my opinion it is sneaky and a ploy by the budget airlines recoup some of the losses they incurr by offering particularly cheap fairs.

I believe that in time these charges will be challenged and they will be forced to become more transparent in their advertising, such that the headline fares will have to increase and "admin" fees will have to become relative to the processing cost and not clear profitering as they are in this case.

Not sneaky as you're clearly advised prior to purchase, but yes a ploy to recoup due to the lower airfrares.

Quite possible that in the future they maybe challenged and made to charge accordingly, but it still won't make the total cost any cheaper.
  • NickX
    NickX Posts: 3,046 Forumite
    Options
    exel1966 wrote: »
    Not sneaky as you're clearly advised prior to purchase, but yes a ploy to recoup due to the lower airfrares.

LOL we have discussed this with regard to Ryanair in the past.

In my opinion it is sneaky, in yours it is not. Agree to differ and all that ;)
  • helsndoe
    helsndoe Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    There is no charge for payments made using a bmibaby Mastercard credit card.

It appears that the penny pinchers at BMI Baby have realised that they can screw an extra £14 out of unsuspecting customers by surreptitiously adding in the credit card fee for their own Mastercard.

Given that this benefit was the only reason for choosing their card, I am taking the scissors to it even as we speak, having just fallen foul of their change of policy.:mad:
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Options
    Lots of discussion and useful info on all this on the FlyerTalk forum (look for the BMI Diamond Club forum).

Of course, people who have signed up for BMI branded credit cards (including me) have received a generous number of airmiles.

These work particularly well if you can combine them with miles from spending or flying and then use them on a cash+miles deal on a business class star alliance flight somewhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure