Starting to Panic!!

In desperate need of upping my income!

I have no idea how to go about it!

I do STP, surveys etc... but they dont really bring in the cash do they.

Its my daughters 1st bday in just over a week and i havent brought her a present i just cant afford it!

Ive tried advertising babysitting, but surprisingly no-one is interested as i have a child??

I have no family to watch my daughter so everything involves her, i cant do party plan as i have no transport.

I wont do phonelines again!

Had to leave 121, the other companies arent currently hiring.

Cant use ebay at the moment either.

Any ideas??

Thanks guys & gals
Had my amazing little girlie 08/12/2007 - 11 days late! 9lbs 3oz
My second little girl entered the world 20/03/2010 - 11 days late! 8lbs 4oz
Sea
led pot challenge 4 - 332
Make £11k in 2011 £0/£11000 - 0%
And lots of other challenges!

Comments

• Hi Lauren,
    I dont really have any help for you on the jpb/working side of things, but I just wanted to say to you, dont worry too much about little ones birthday, if you can't manage a prezzie (it's a wonder anybody can! have you seen the prices?!) , dig out a toy she hasn't played with in a while and rewrap. Baby is too young to know the difference, and most likely wont actually remember. I know its a big stressing point, and it makes us feel like the worst mums but honestly, she's too young to realise. I had to do the same thing for my son's 1st birthday AND christmas (only 5 weeks between the two) and I haven't seen any lasting traumatic damage yet :D;)
    Job wise, the best I can offer is how about possibly ironing at home or something similar? I'm sure people will start being more than happy to ask you to babysit as christmas gets closer and closer!

Best wishes hun, happy thoughts! xxx
    Debts @ LBM#1(2007)-£4375
    Debts P.I.F#1(2010)-£4375
    Debts @LBM#2(2016)-£17000
    :jDidn't learn my lesson the first time round!:j
    Long Haul Member no. 73
    DFW Member no.796
  • How about betterware, avon etc? It can be tough at first (I do betterware) esp in winter but if you build up a round its ok. hth
    Make £365 in £365 days in 2011 - 3/365
    £11000 in 2010 - 9/11000
    Sealed Pot Challenge Member No 1180 - £20.73
    Dare not even add up my debts yet - sorry - i'm a wuss i know.
    LBM - anticipated within next hour or so.
  • Hi Lauren,

Sorry to hear of your situation.

Are you a member of your local Freecycle? Often the items which are being given away are in good condition, just in need of a clean.
    :) Thank you to all OPs :)
  • jessicamb
    jessicamb Posts: 10,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Lauren

Welcome to MSE. As others have said dont panic about getting your daughter a present - at that age dont they play more with the box and wrapping paper anyway? However have you looked at the Boost Your Income article to see if there is anything else that seems appealing to you?
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese :cool:
  • Obi167
    Obi167 Posts: 290 Forumite
    Just to reiterate hunnybeanz, don't worry about the prezzie - she wont remember, but if you do want to get a present (a really really special one) why not make her one (i understand buying a present is just the financial problem at the forefront at the moment and this wont solve any of the other financial hardship - I just think if your financially pressed, don't spend loads of money on a present for a 1 year old, when a cardboard box or bubble wrap would probably give more entertainment to her than a £20 electronic teddy bear that sings). On my 3rd birthday i got a garage built by my dad, playgs ed with it for many years, and my sister got a dolls house. If your not the making things type of person how about a mobile made from a few small old toys (or ones from the pound shop) and a couple of coat hangers, Or a wooden spinning top (a wooden disk, and a pencil sharpened piece of dowling) - these are just 2 ideas - but a 1 year old can get enjoyment from the simplest things, and when she's older you can tell her about the presents you made and i'm sure she'll appreciate them a whole lot more than a tigger toy.
  • Obi167
    Obi167 Posts: 290 Forumite
    second thoughts.... i guess anything made with a pencil sharpener ain't gonna be great for a 1 year old.
  • laurenjs88
    laurenjs88 Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    goodlife wrote: »
    How about betterware, avon etc? It can be tough at first (I do betterware) esp in winter but if you build up a round its ok. hth

I already tried Avon but where i live its, without being horrible its where the people go to "Pass"according to the lady downstairs...

im the youngest person living on 8 streets!! 98% of the people are retired there!
    Had my amazing little girlie 08/12/2007 - 11 days late! 9lbs 3oz
    My second little girl entered the world 20/03/2010 - 11 days late! 8lbs 4oz
    Sea
    led pot challenge 4 - 332
    Make £11k in 2011 £0/£11000 - 0%
    And lots of other challenges!
  • Sorry no advice on how to raise extra cash.

But with regards to birthday gifts the best one my son got was a big carboard box wrapped up full of blown up ballons. cost about £2. We also had a homemade birthday cake with a sparkler. He absoulutley loved watcing the sparklers. And we done his favourite things all day (fed the ducks, built him a room full of block towers to knock down, went to the park, let him climb up the slide)

At the end of day they are not aware it is the birthday and have no expectations. One of my firends bult up her osns birthday workered herself up as it had to be perfect he woke up on the day with a stomach bug, and she spent the day crying as his brithday was ruined.

So just relax and enjoy your little one.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Mystery shopping ? You can take little one with you.
    Honestly at a year old she doesn't care it's her birthday. Make the day special with balloons and by making and eating cakes together-she'd rather have a happy mum with icing sugar on the end of her nose -than a stressed mum and a pricy toy
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • Did like your comment re avon lol. But your streets sound excellent for betterware, i'm tempted to ask you where you live and pop over!

I was an idiot with pressies for my daughter when she was younger - a struggling single parent feeling guilty and over spending on presents while not paying the bills. Twelve years later I look back and think what an idiot I was. Bubble mixture was very popular with her (make it out of washing up liquid)

like everyone else is saying please don't worry - i see now that the best present my daughter could have had was a guilt free and happy mummy to play with xxx
    Make £365 in £365 days in 2011 - 3/365
    £11000 in 2010 - 9/11000
    Sealed Pot Challenge Member No 1180 - £20.73
    Dare not even add up my debts yet - sorry - i'm a wuss i know.
    LBM - anticipated within next hour or so.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure