f-secure antivirus

Options
Lady_K
Lady_K Posts: 4,429 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Has anyone tried f-secure antivirus?

My Macafee is running out anytime and I need another. I have norton 2004 and 2005 that someone gave me but I know they drain the system. Would f-secure be better than avg or avast? or do you think I should use the Norton? The f-secure would be free too as thats from a friend aswell
Thanx

Lady_K

Comments

• Toxteth_OGrady
    Options
    Give it a try here. 6th down in the list.

If you want an independent, objective comparison based on test results seehere. You have to register but it's free. Take a look at the VB 100% awards.

:cool:

TOG
    604!
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanx

I registered with that site its useful. Is there anything similar to do with firewalls? I've got zone alarm basic at the moment and its really slow when I start the computer, it says intitializing zone alarm but it never used to do that it just takes ages soI was thinking about changing it
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • Brockyman
    Brockyman Posts: 383 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I tried f-secure as part of my Teso internet package but found it too complicated to set up for my home network of 4 computers. I couldn't set it so that everyone could share the internet connection without spending ages setting it up for each computer. I am quite experienced with computers but just found it overly complicated for my needs. I now run AVG free edition and am quite happy with it.
    Ian.
  • opportunity_cost
    Options
    Lady_K wrote:
    Thanx

I registered with that site its useful. Is there anything similar to do with firewalls? I've got zone alarm basic at the moment and its really slow when I start the computer, it says intitializing zone alarm but it never used to do that it just takes ages soI was thinking about changing it

The best firewall for my money is Sygate Personal Firewall. It's totally fool-proof and makes your ports stealth without having to tinker with the settings (unlike ZoneAlarm). Sygate were taken over by Symantec but the program is still available and it's fully functional. You can get it here
    The true cost of something is what you give up to get it.
  • intel
    intel Posts: 6,404 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The best firewall for my money is Sygate Personal Firewall. It's totally fool-proof and makes your ports stealth without having to tinker with the settings (unlike ZoneAlarm). Sygate were taken over by Symantec but the program is still available and it's fully functional. You can get it here

I was going to post sygate as its my fave but its discontinued so it
    may come under attack by new intrusions, and it wont ever be updated again
    i.e new version, I still use it but I know im at a slight risk by doing so.
  • decanay
    decanay Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    I have personally used FSecure, Norton, ZoneAlarm and the free AVG/ZoneAlarm.

In my opinion FSecure was the worst of the bunch. It seemed to basic, not enough options for tweaking the firewall; I don't think the version I tried (2005) even had popup blocking. It does use slightly less resource than Norton but it seems to have major issues with MSN messenger that rendered it, for me at least, completely unusable.

I would recommend either Norton or the Zone Alarm Internet security suites, both very good in my opinion.
  • intel
    intel Posts: 6,404 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I wouldnt recommend Norton as it gobbles up resources and is as twitchy
    as Norman Wisdom in a hot bath... get a freebie like Avast or AVG and a firewall
    freebie of course, then some adware and scumware removal.
  • sicker
    sicker Posts: 1,370 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I use f-secure internet security 2006 and would thoroughly recommened it with only one complaint. They have changed thier technical assistance number from '08702408321' to a premium rate no. and I have premium rate call barring on my phone.

John
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport