severe disablement allowance and bus pass/blue badge

I have ME and am on severe disablement allowance. I am able to work for 6 hours a week under the permitted work scheme. The problem is the bus fares/parking. It costs me £4 bus fares to get into town for that day and about £6 for parking. I was told I was not eligible for DLA as I didnt get out enough for the mobility section as I only get out one day a week and as I live at home dont need the care element.

As I dont automatically qualify through the DLA and dont fit the other criteria is there anything I can do. Its a huge chunk out of my wages. There is no DIAL locally. I have to pay for my prescriptions, dental treatment etc so any advice would be gratefully received.

Comments

• foxxymynx
    foxxymynx Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    I was told I was not eligible for DLA as I didnt get out enough for the mobility section as I only get out one day a week and as I live at home dont need the care element.
    That's incorrect, you should apply again and if it was recent that you got told that, appeal the decision.
    If my typing is pants or I seem partcuarly blunt, please excuse me, it physically hurts to type. :wall: If I seem a bit random and don't make a lot of sense, it may have something to do with the voice recognition software that I'm using!
  • I have ME and am on severe disablement allowance. I am able to work for 6 hours a week under the permitted work scheme. The problem is the bus fares/parking. It costs me £4 bus fares to get into town for that day and about £6 for parking. I was told I was not eligible for DLA as I didnt get out enough for the mobility section as I only get out one day a week and as I live at home dont need the care element.

As I dont automatically qualify through the DLA and dont fit the other criteria is there anything I can do. Its a huge chunk out of my wages. There is no DIAL locally. I have to pay for my prescriptions, dental treatment etc so any advice would be gratefully received.

Although you do not get Income Support and qualiffy for free prescriptions and dental that way, you might (subject to your individual circumstances) qualify on the low income scheme and receive a HC2 for free prescriptions/dental or a HC3 for reduced cost dental etc.

Details here:http://www.ppa.org.uk/ppa/low_income.htm

As said above it might be worth trying for DLA again. Failing that if you have mobility issues you could try applying to your council for a blue badge as this may give access to a disabled bus pass in some areas.

Tally
  • Who on earth told you that???
    There is case law sayin that someone who is totally housebound (for exmple someone in a vegative state) may not recieve the mobility componant as they are not capable of leaving the house, however, if you are capable of leaving the house even occasionally you are entiled to it. (in principle you could still get it if you never left the house beacuse you could argue the reason you don't go out is that you have no support, which is why you are applying!).

Secondly having support such as living at home is irrelevant for the care componant as it award is based on the help you need not the care you do do or don't recieve (and living at home with family who help with those care needs will only strengthen your case).
    Obviously it will depend on you individual situation but if you are ill enough for severe disablment allowance the chances are you will get DLA.

Its important to get help to fill in the forms from an independant advisor (as the rules are complex and the form misleading) so contact either dial or the CAB and ask to see a benefits advisor, photocopy everything and send recorded delivery (according to another thread there is sufficient postage paid on th eenvelope to do this for free or next to nothing).

Failing that if your moblilty is very poor you can contact your council and they can offer you an mobility assesment for a blue badge (you don't need dla).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure