Paypal Chargeback

Options
Hi
I wonder if someone can help. I received an email from my buyer today saying that they had not received an item posted on 17 Dec. The 15 days lapsed on 1 Jan - they had contacted me on 24 Dec also, but I had already told them they had missed pre christmas delivery.

They then immediately did a chargeback on my paypal account. I have prof of posting for a standard parcel no tracking number.

Bearing in my mind that they were very tardy in paying or replying to messages . My gut feeling is that this is a con. and they have received the parcel.

Will Paypal just do a chargeback and leave me out of pocket?I haven't even had time to approach the PO let alone get a response.

Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    yes they will. I asked for a chargeback when my seller would not refund me on an article not received. You can claim via the po if the article was <£28 you will need some proof of the value. I used to send anything over £28 via special delivery

Paypal protects buyers and not sellers and gut feeling does not come into it. Anyway on over 1000 sales I only ever had 2 `lost` items. Most people are honest
  • magoogy
    magoogy Posts: 2,961 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    you dont have to give them their money back just because they have asked for it - if you dont think it is genuine - i received a chargeback off someone but as he was very abusive and that i contacted paypal and told them the situation and they said as i had proof of posting (no matter what form it is in) i dont have to pay them back....
  • patchwork_cat
    Options
    Magoogy
    Did you just email paypal? There seems to be a difference of opinion about whether standard proof of posting is enough- is that what you have had?
  • patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    Options
    I have just contact paypal via the phone and they tell me that proof of posting is not enough I need tracking for them to turn down the claim. Proof of Posting proves i have posted it and not that the buyer has received it (Quote).

It seems that they are going to give them the money back and I will be left out of pocket.

I am really fed up as this buyer bought 3 things over a week wanted combined postage and then didn't pay until I started 3 non paying bidder claims.

They know the system better than me and are using it even though they have only got a feedback of 21 and mine is 620.
  • wendyl1967
    wendyl1967 Posts: 317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Paypal will only give about 25% back I think

I never received an item. I purchased a dvd of someone who had nearly 300 positive feedback 100%. I never received my item. The other week I checked after waiting 3 weeks and suddenly they are no longer a registered user now with 78 negative feedback in one week! I claimed via paypal. The seller had 10 days to respond to paypal and if they did not respond I would get some money back. I got £9.50 back from a £24.50 transaction.

If you respond to emails from paypal I assume that they will look into it and not automatically give the money back to the buyer.
    Wendy
  • katiepops_2
    Options
    Bearing in mind that Royal Mail don't allow you to make a claim for an item as lost until 15 WORKING days after delivery, the 15 days aren't up yet if you posted the item on 17th December. By my calculations the 15th day would be this Saturday (assuming that they class Saturday as a working day).

Anyway, you won't be out of pocket - Royal Mail will pay you the value of the package.

Kate
  • wendyl1967
    wendyl1967 Posts: 317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I thought royal mail only paid if you got recorded delivery with insurance? Proof of posting does not give you any protection. Just proof to the buyer that you posted it? I may be wrong. Proof of posting does not cost anything.
    Wendy
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    Yes you can claim up to £30 with proof of posting
  • jaffa30
    jaffa30 Posts: 19,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    HI
    A Cert Of posting ( Cop ) is enough to cover you upto £ 30.
    Recorded delivery ie the extra 65p one covers you to exactly the same as a COP

The RM will payout for the Value of the item NOT The POSTAGE costs.

ALso if the buyer does make a claim with paypal they will get all there money back

It mayy be better if you tell them to hang on till the weekend and if the item hasnt arrived you will refund them,
    This saves a lot of hassle with suspended accounts and such like with paypal ( if they make \ claim )

Jaffa
    R.I.P Sam, still in my heart
  • Darren21
    Darren21 Posts: 882 Forumite
    Options
    wendyl1967 wrote:
    Paypal will only give about 25% back I think

I never received an item. I purchased a dvd of someone who had nearly 300 positive feedback 100%. I never received my item. The other week I checked after waiting 3 weeks and suddenly they are no longer a registered user now with 78 negative feedback in one week! I claimed via paypal. The seller had 10 days to respond to paypal and if they did not respond I would get some money back. I got £9.50 back from a £24.50 transaction.

If you respond to emails from paypal I assume that they will look into it and not automatically give the money back to the buyer.

The reason you got £9.50 back is because its £24.50 - £15 ebay admin fee (they obviously had no money in their paypal a/c - as it was a con, so ebay give you compensation less £15)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure