🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Credit Card Error Affecting Credit

Options
Hi There

I had several credit cards which I was paying fine. I then moved to Spain for work so used a payment plan manager to pay them, ie. I paid the plan manager a sum and they disributed it accordingly, rather than paying each individual card from Spain. When the plan manager requested the outstanding balance from one of the creditors, they told them the outstanding balance was £5 when it was in fact a couple of thousand. The plan manager paid the £5 then did not pay this creditor any more. The creditor did not contact myself or the plan manager and has now informed the credit reference agency that I defaulted on the payment.

I'm now back in the UK and have lost out on a good job as I failed the credit check.

As this is not my error, I wondered if there was any way I can get the creditor to remove this from my credit report?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

Barry

Comments

• PT66
    PT66 Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As well as contacting the credit card company, you could post a 'Notice of Correction' on your credit file. I don't know how good they are and even if creditors look at them but it is an opportunity to explain circumstances.
    I put one on my Experian Report to explain missed credit card payments when my business in Spain went down the pan.
  • poker_face
    Options
    PT66 wrote: »
    As well as contacting the credit card company, you could post a 'Notice of Correction' on your credit file. I don't know how good they are and even if creditors look at them but it is an opportunity to explain circumstances.
    I put one on my Experian Report to explain missed credit card payments when my business in Spain went down the pan.

Did it effect your experian rating?
    |Credit Card Debt Free|I'll bring you flowers in the pouring rain|
    :money:
  • JayZed
    JayZed Posts: 731 Forumite
    Options
    It sounds to me as though the creditor provided the payment plan manager with the minimum payment rather than the outstanding amount. You should request copies of any relevant correspondence from the plan manager.

Surely the creditor continued to send you monthly statements and/or demands for payment?

Ultimately, it's your responsibility to check the balance of your outstanding credit and to make the required monthly payments. It's also your responsibility to ensure that the creditor is informed of any change of address - did you give them your new details when you moved to Spain?
  • PT66
    PT66 Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    poker_face wrote: »
    Did it effect your experian rating?

My score has gone from 295 to 363 in 1 month but I expect this is more due to reducing the number of missed payments to my cards. My missed payments were due to erratic income from self employment then finally unemployment. I kept on top of my rent & council tax but the do not take 'good behaviour' into account!

Once my credit has recovered, I hope to move house with my GF, so I hope that my explanation will help when applying for a mortgage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 2 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport