Contactless card?

Options
Do please excuse my ignorance but I've been given a 'contactless' card and I don't understand what that means. Anyone care to tell me?

Thanks

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    Who gave it to you and why not ask them?
  • methusala_2
    Options
    hmmmmmmmmmmm, no pin, no sig, just swipe it and its done!
    Not for me thanks

meth
  • greyhoundcrazy
    Options
    Thanks for that info.
    methusala wrote: »
    hmmmmmmmmmmm, no pin, no sig, just swipe it and its done!
    Not for me thanks

meth
    Not for me either. Even if they can only use it to buy things £10 and under it wouldn't take long for someone to run up a bill... I'm not liking this new card. That coupled with the tales of appauling customer service/charges in error here on the forum, is making me think about cancelling the agreement.
  • bert&ernie
    bert&ernie Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for that info.

Not for me either. Even if they can only use it to buy things £10 and under it wouldn't take long for someone to run up a bill... I'm not liking this new card. That coupled with the tales of appauling customer service/charges in error here on the forum, is making me think about cancelling the agreement.

In addition to the £10 single transaction limit, there are cumulative velocity limits too - e.g. it will only allow 10 transactions or £50 total spend before it forces the card on-line and asks for a PIN. Similar limits exist on standard chip cards for the control of offline spending - the issuers don't typically tell you what these limits are. However, both Barclays and Visa do state that you will occasionally be asked to enter your PIN.

Your not the first person, on this thread and others, to dismiss this technology as insecure. I can understand a certain skepticism, but I can't help feeling that there is an element of neo-luddism at work here too.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
  • greyhoundcrazy
    Options
    bert&ernie wrote: »

Your not the first person, on this thread and others, to dismiss this technology as insecure. I can understand a certain skepticism, but I can't help feeling that there is an element of neo-luddism at work here too.
    Well yes people generally are suspicious of new things or things that they don't understand. Granted perhaps the risks are not as big as they first seemed but I'm still not really into the idea since I don't see how I will benefit from this technology. I don't buy my lunches etc with a credit card. I never buy things of £10 or less with a credit card so this contactless thing is of no use to me as far as I can see. Therefore I still think the risk, however small, outweighs the benefits in my case.

TBH I'm more concerned about the mass of customer service complaints that are posted here on the forum at the moment with regards to that particular company and their credit card dealings. It is that which has got me reconsidering the card... not the contactless stuff.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure