Oil recommendations for sanded floor?

Options
We are going to be sanding the floorboards in our living room in the next week or so and want to try and keep the colour as close to natural as possible (they're a really nice colour). We've been recommended Osmo oil but I was wondering whether there are any other products that people would recommend?

Plus any advice would also be appreciated although I gather the actual sanding is pretty straightforward.

Comments

• aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd second the Osmo recommendation. Really easy to use and the wood can be resanded and touched up with no obvious mark left, unlike varnish or laquer which which doesn't blend in as easily.

My window sills are oak and I've 'Osmo'd' them...they look really lovely and are a true 'wood colour' iyswim........no orangey varnish hues.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • Canucklehead
    Options
    Good afternoon: Another vote for Osmo. Aliasjo is spot on.;)

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • evilgoose
    Options
    I've been trying out several differnet oils for my oak windows. Osmo Polyx oil definately looked the nicest, but I left a cup of water, with a small simulated spill and it left ring marks.

*anyone know if you can put polyuthane varnish over the oil?
  • aliasojo
    Options
    I'm surprised to read that evilgoose....my kitchen sink is directly in front of the window and thanks to the kids, more water ends up on the window and the sill than in the sink! They never seem to register it either as it gets left and not wiped. I've not had any marking problems.

(Yet! I hope I haven't tempted fate now, lol.)

I dont think you can varnish over the Osmo btw. At least not without stripping or sanding back.
  • latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thanks for the replies folks. I'm going to get a sample pot and do a small area before we sand the whole floor so we can see what its going to look like. Seemed like a better idea than just taking other peoples word for it, no offence :)
  • aliasojo
    Options
    That's exactly what I did too latecomer. :) Hope it goes well and you are happy with the end result.
  • latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Will one day get round to doing a blog with the entire house renovation pictures and will make sure I have some of the floor before and after!

Thanks again.
  • gelato_cat
    gelato_cat Posts: 2,723 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hey all

Has anyone used the satin Osmo oil? If so, what was the sheen comparable to? I am erring away from the matt as I don't want a dull finish.

TIA

Suze
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Savings & Investments, Small Biz MoneySaving and House Buying, Renting & Selling boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the Report button, or by e-mailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure