eBay and Paypal surcharge question for sellers

Options
Hey all

I realise that sellers are not allowed to add a surcharge for Paypal buyers, but is it OK to offer a discount when paying by other methods such as bank transfers?

Of course I'll be increasing the buy-it-now price to cover the Paypal fees but I'll offer a suitable discount for non-Paypal payments.

Cheers
:)

Comments

• morveryn
    morveryn Posts: 223 Forumite
    Options
    Hmm...I don't know but I think eBay would look on that as surcharging as you are still charging more for your paypal items.
    Ebay~ A wretched hive of scum and villainy. :p
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I only offer a discount of 5% for bank transfers. I find cheques a total pain to handle and process.

Butno one takes me up on the offer.
  • Enterian
    Enterian Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    I'd certainly take a seller up on something like that, subject to good feedback of course.

Enterian
  • charlie12
    charlie12 Posts: 1,668 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks guys.. It seems like it is allowed, but there's still the possibility of rogue users reporting the listing to Ebay (for kicks), and then eBay most likely pulling it :(
  • payless
    payless Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I generally offer a discount for bank payments , its rarely taken up

As I now often up "pay immediately " when using BiN its pointless , as they would need to email me first otherewise it stays on sale
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • freebie_junkie
    Options
    instead of worrying about teh charge for paypal i take it as a small amount compared with the amount of time and chasing up of people it takes when you only offer cheque payments!
    :T The best things in life are FREE! :T
  • Bernie
    Bernie Posts: 412 Forumite
    Options
    charlie12 wrote:
    Hey all

I realise that sellers are not allowed to add a surcharge for Paypal buyers, but is it OK to offer a discount when paying by other methods such as bank transfers?

Of course I'll be increasing the buy-it-now price to cover the Paypal fees but I'll offer a suitable discount for non-Paypal payments.

Cheers
    :)

...I used to surcharge - this was not popular so I reversed the process as you suggest above.

Anything that chips away at Paypal fat profits is good. When the banks start completing bank transfers in hours next year, Paypal will be no longer be able to milk it's UK customers. We'll finally be in the same position as continental eBay users.... roll on!
    “When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around.

But when I got to be twenty one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years.”

Mark Twain
  • freebie_junkie
    Options
    the bank transfers- are they more secure for customers or sellers?
    :T The best things in life are FREE! :T
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bad for buyers (If you have a rogue seller).......great for sellers... no fees.
  • Bernie
    Bernie Posts: 412 Forumite
    Options
    ...once you "send" the money, either by completing the form in hard copy at your bank, or electronically at your PC, the money has gone! The sender cannot stop it and when it arrives at the other end - it's theirs.

One of the worst features of Paypal is the chargeback thing. I don't know the full monty because I have never suffered personally.

One of my work collegues was recently stiffed for £999 for a laptop he sold via eBay. The money appearred in his PP account, he immediately sent the laptop off via recorded delivery, and ... two days later, the money was retracted, (withdrawn, charged back, whatever). It all got resolved with the Police in the end but was very alarming for the young 'un at the time.

When I paid a £200 eBay seller recently, I sent the money on trust via bank transfer. Sure, it's completely traceable but it was still me stumping up first knowing I cannot recall or dispute the transfer.

...so if you're buying from me - you now know why I "discount" Paypal fees from the "surcharged" P&P I levy. I would much rather you paid me via electronic transfer. It's free and, as a massive bonus for me, it is much safer.
    :T
    “When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around.

But when I got to be twenty one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years.”

Mark Twain
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport