Help req'd asap please

Options
Hi all,

On Saturday I sorted out a new-ish car with my current car as part-ex for the total of £11,495. I made sure that this was correct as I knew my budget etc...and kept repeating myself. I told them I would phone them back with my £50 deposit, later that eveing once I had checked out Insurance for the car. (Finance not through them).

Later on the Sat I rang up, checked the final figure was still £11,495 and paid my £50 deposit. I didn't get copies of the paperwork btw!!

Today, just as I was in the bank sorting out the loan for the car, 2mins before I signed, the Salesman rang me up and said he wanted to run through a few things as he thinks our wires have crossed :mad:

I know what I was told and wrote done, we shook hands and left it at that. Now he is saying that I sill have to pay my outstanding £3,500 on my current car - even tho this price was worked into the figues. I. e they were giving me the £3,500 to pay off the finance.

I think they have realised they have made a boo-boo and are now trying to rectify it by saying its me that has my wires crossed.

Has anyone got any advice please on where I stand.

Thanks.

Comments

• anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If there's no signature or deposit made you can walk away. If they've now decided they won't do something, even if they said the reverse not long ago, they have no obligation unless you signed a piece of paper with everything set out in black and white.
  • XTwinkletoesX
    Options
    I paid the £50 deposit on the car in agreement to their terms - does that not count for something?
  • markelock
    markelock Posts: 1,735 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    how much was the car, what is the car, what is your part-ex?
    Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl Bart? Why did I have the bowl?
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you saying that the dealership should stand the £3.5k and absorb this as a loss to give you the car? So you to benefit from their loss?

The £50 deposit normally reserves the car so it cannot be sold to someone else.
    The man without a signature.
  • MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    From what you say you have a contract with them, the trouble of course is that is a verbal one which is just a valid in law but much more diffcult to prove. I would just get the 50 quid back and start again.
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ask them to see the paperwork, and just check what it says.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure