🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

PayPal/eBay Problem

Options
I sold my brand new iPod Photo on eBay in October 05 for about £190. 2 Months later in December, when I checked my email on holiday in India, I saw a charge-back claim made for the iPod, as the claim had apparantly been "un-authorised". I replied to the claim saying I'm away on holiday at the moment but I'll look for the tracking number when I'm back in a few days.

When I got back the case had been closed, as I'd been unable to provide tracking information!

I called the person who had made the payment today, it was quite hard to get the number in fact, I searched 192, then got the number of her neighbour, and then her actual number!

She told me that her credit card had been stolen 2 months back and about £500 had been spent on PayPal. Her bank had submitted claims to refund it all.

This leaves me in a tight situation, as I've lost my iPod and £190.

Do any of you have advice on what I can do?

Thanks,

Shyam
:: No Links in signatures please - Edited by Forum Manager ::

Comments

• jaffa30
    jaffa30 Posts: 19,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Hi
    Whos got the IPod.

Where did you send it , was it the same address as Ebays one for the buyer.

Jaffa
    R.I.P Sam, still in my heart
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jaffa30 wrote:
    Hi
    Whos got the IPod

Where did you post the iPod to? Was it the address you called? If so I would be asking more questions. Get a copy of the name/signature from Royal Mail.

Check on EBay items bought around same time (need to be quick on this will dissapear after 90 days and make life more difficult) contact sellers either side of your sale and see how they got on and how they were paid.

PM me if you would like any help.
  • jaffa30
    jaffa30 Posts: 19,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    I was trying to establish where or who had the ipod so i could help with the next course of action.

Hintza Sorted

Jaffa
    R.I.P Sam, still in my heart
  • shyam
    shyam Posts: 143 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks all for wanting to help!

A couple of minutes after recieving payment for the iPod I got an email from the same email address requesting the iPod to be sent to another address. It was sent to that address.

I'm assuming that is where the person who stole the credit card would have got the iPod from.

The strange thing is, when searching on 192, on the road of where I sent the iPod too, every single house number came up, except for the one where I sent the iPod too!

Seeing as this person has scammed me, I don't care about revealing his/her address.

125 STOKES ROAD
    EASTHAM
    LONDON E6 3SF

The above address is where I sent the iPod too.
  • OllieLong
    OllieLong Posts: 486 Forumite
    Options
    One thing you should always do: always send to the address that PayPal give you! Otherwise you will not have any seller protection [not that you get much (any) anyway].
  • shyam
    shyam Posts: 143 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    OllieLong wrote:
    One thing you should always do: always send to the address that PayPal give you! Otherwise you will not have any seller protection [not that you get much (any) anyway].

Then I just lost £190 :(
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Any mates in London??

I have just had someone buy an item on Amazon and are wanting me to post to France, which I am quite happy to do if they pay me by bank transfer and I refund the Amazon payment. They never even asked about postage to France nor offered any extra to cover P+P to France.
  • BowlingforsoupNI
    Options
    Its funny you on here going on about getting ripped off whenever you owe all those people from the referrals board money
  • bleugh
    bleugh Posts: 1,796 Forumite
    Options
    d'oh :-(

another reason to read up on https://www.paypalwarning.com
    https://www.aboutpaypal.org
    https://www.paypalsucks.com

go to https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk and file a small claim,, mind you, for £190 i'd go to the address and pay them a visit
    money saving my @rse.
    I've spent 10x as much as I would if I had never discovered this website :-)
    :: No Links in signatures please - FM ::
  • ukbill69
    ukbill69 Posts: 2,789 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    shyam wrote:
    Thanks all for wanting to help!

A couple of minutes after recieving payment for the iPod I got an email from the same email address requesting the iPod to be sent to another address. It was sent to that address.

I'm assuming that is where the person who stole the credit card would have got the iPod from.

The strange thing is, when searching on 192, on the road of where I sent the iPod too, every single house number came up, except for the one where I sent the iPod too!

Seeing as this person has scammed me, I don't care about revealing his/her address.

125 STOKES ROAD
    EASTHAM
    LONDON E6 3SF

The above address is where I sent the iPod too.

This address shows in royal mails database:

125 Stokes Road
    London
    E6 3SF

browse.cgi?client=public&search_result=&db=pc&cidr_client=none&lang=&keepicon=true&pc=E63SF&advanced=&client=public&addr2=&quicksearch=E6+3SF&addr3=&addr1=
    Kind Regards
    Bill
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills