Guitar amp

Options
Poppy9
Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
DD had an electrical/classical guitar for xmas. She now needs an amp. Can the karoke machine serve as an amp?
:) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)

Comments

• ZZRKarlos
    ZZRKarlos Posts: 108 Forumite
    Options
    Yes it can if there is a input socket on the karoke machine, which I'm sure there will be. It could be the same as the guitar output socket...a 1/4" Jack. Its the same as a microphone socket.
  • tigermatt
    tigermatt Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Most karaoke machines have one of these inputs, so check to see if it does. You'll just need the lead to connect it up to the machine and you should be fine. :)
  • £$&*"($£&(
    £$&*"($£&( Posts: 4,538 Forumite
    Options
    There answer is no. Actually you can plug it into a line in socket - but not a microphone socket - don't even think about doing this. Line in sockets though are best avoided because the guitar inputs are different - the're called high impedance sockets and guitars sound rubbish plugged into them - especially electro acoustic. Line ins are also always stereo pairs so you would only be using one side.

You need an acoustic amp or something with a guitar preamp and line outs. This is what you find on most guitar multi-effects units.
  • tigermatt
    tigermatt Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    grahawk wrote:
    There answer is no. Actually you can plug it into a line in socket - but not a microphone socket - don't even think about doing this. Line in sockets though are best avoided because the guitar inputs are different - the're called high impedance sockets and guitars sound rubbish plugged into them - especially electro acoustic. Line ins are also always stereo pairs so you would only be using one side.

You need an acoustic amp or something with a guitar preamp and line outs. This is what you find on most guitar multi-effects units.
    Just shows the little knowledge I have about music and musical instruments... ;)
    tigermatt wrote:
    Most karaoke machines have one of these inputs, so check to see if it does. You'll just need the lead to connect it up to the machine and you should be fine. :)
  • £$&*"($£&(
    £$&*"($£&( Posts: 4,538 Forumite
    Options
    Something like this, and this is about the cheapest option, would allow you to plug into anything with line inputs though you would need to get the correct sort of leads.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=67204
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for all your help. She has a lesson with her guitar teacher next week so I'll ask her what amps she recommends for her.

I don't like my next door neighbours so I think I'll go for a really powerful one ;) (only joking)
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure