Money Saving challenge via public transport - Falmouth > Bognor Regis

Options
Hi all,

My brother goes to uni in Falmouth but is coming back to Bognor Regis via public transport for the Christmas break. I've been doing some research for him with regards to train times and coaches etc but want to see if anybody has any other suggestions based on price being the key factor.

He's leaving on either 13th/14th December at any time of day and returning to Falmouth on 10th January. He doesn't care how long it takes or how many changes there are, he just wants the cheapest option (no jokes about walking or cycling all the way!!!).

It's not essential that he ends up at Bognor station as we can drive and pick him up within a 25 radius of Bogor Regis, so places like Portsmouth, Barnham, Chichester etc are all fine as a destination.

He doesn't care about method of transport, plane, train, bus, coach, (ferry?) are all fine.

The best I've found so far is £69 for a return via train departing from Truro and arriving at Barnham. Can anybody beat that???
I am a Mortgage Adviser. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.

Comments

• Livingthedream
    Options
    Try this;
    Truro to Westbury 13th Dec @ 14:41 Advance Single £15
    Westbury to Portsmouth 13th Dec @ 20:01 Advance Single £5

Portsmouth to Westbury 10th Jan @ 08:22 Advance Single £5
    Westbury to Truro 10th Jan @ 12.22 Advance Single £15

Total Fare £40

These are advance tickets, and therefore you must travel on the booked trains, buy early with these tickets as they can sell out.
    Whoa! This image violates our terms of use and has been removed from view
  • youngmoney_2
    Options
    Ah now that's a good one! Brilliant find thank you!
    I am a Mortgage Adviser. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • devizes18193
    Options
    varous sites on quidco for money back on train fares
  • Livingthedream
    Options
    Unless your fare is over £50 then quidco is not the way as the 2% will be lost by the booking fee. To make a better saving then register with First Great Western and get £5 off your first ticket bought, so the journey I described above comes to £35.

Or if you are really cheeky then register 3 times with different e-mail address and buy the (Truro) advance tickets separtly (Westbury/Portsmouth Together) and get the whole journey for £25

This deal ends 30th Nov so be quick

http://www.fgw5pounds.co.uk/
    Whoa! This image violates our terms of use and has been removed from view
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills