What if trains are late or cancelled etc on specified train tickets?

Options
Hi,

Myself and my mum (who has a disabled railcard) are looking to travel by train from Middlesbrough to Brighton next month.

I have played on the web and it worked out easier and cheaper somehow if we buy separate tickets for the journey (Middlesbrough to Northallerton - Trans Pennine Express , Northallerton to London KX- National Express, and London Victoria to Brighton - Southern). However to get the cheap tickets we are having to travel on specified trains.

We have a 10 minute connection at Northallerton (our train arrives and the London train departs on the same platform which it would not have done if we had changed at York). We have also a 1 hour connection between arriving at Kings Cross and departing Victoria (will be using a taxi to cross London).

Now my worry is, what happens if for example the first train is late and we miss the first connection, or more worrying, if the second one is late into London and we cannot get to Victoria in time. Bear in mind all the tickets are seperate, will the second and/or third train company still honour the tickets if we have to travel on another later train?. Would we also on route have to go somewhere such as ticket offices to get the tickets altered if we do run late or can we just get onboard the next available train. How for example would we prove that the first or second trains ran late etc?. I have heard some horror stories about people on trains being charged huge fares if on the 'wrong' train etc. We haven't travelled long distance with differing companies for years so are not up on rules and regulations etc.

Thanks

Tally

Comments

• Livingthedream
    Options
    If you have One direct Advance Ticket then there no problem as It's not your fault but the trains companies and their obliged to get you to your end destination. However, with split (more that one) advance ticket, rail company A have every right to say it not their fault that you miss your connection because rail company B train was late and say that your ticket is invalid and make you buy a new full fare ticket.

I always advise, if possible with split advance tickets, to have at least 30 mins connection times
    Whoa! This image violates our terms of use and has been removed from view
  • tycumagain
    Options
    Thanks for the reply LTD, was wondering this myself as I want to book advance Leicester - Manchester but change at Sheffield only leaves 6mins !:eek: Can you just confirm even though changing from EastMidland to First Transpennine that as the advance ticket is for 'all' the journey they would have to honour the ticket on a later train if connection was missed due to late arrival ?
  • alanrowell
    alanrowell Posts: 5,365 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you miss the 2nd leg onwards with separate tickets then IT'S YOUR PROBLEM.

Even if the onward ticket is with the same company, the company does not have to do anything to help you except sell you a new ticket

If you miss the 2nd leg onwards with one ticket then it's the problem of the train companies.

It's just like the airlines
  • Tally-Ho_2
    Options
    Thanks all.

So, I presume if we pay a bit extra to get it all on the one ticket then we are covered.

Incidentally, how long would they give us to cross London (Kings X to Victoria), just with mum being disabled, she needs to use a taxi which may take longer than the tube, or how long would you advise to allow for this (we don't go to London very often so not sure how long it takes).

Thanks

Tally
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family