Paypal Problem

Options
I have had a paypal payment of £62 taken twice out of my bank account, even though it's gone through only once on my paypal account.

I spoke to the lady at Halifax who told me they are having problems right now, with some transactions being taken twice, according to the lady I spoke too, who then put me through to some bloke who was useless, telling me it was paypals fault and I had to contact them, he kept ignoring my comments so I hung up on him.

I phoned Paypal, and the investigation will take 10 or so days.

I'm going down the bank tomorrow in person to see if they can help.

Is there anything else I can do?

£62 is a fair bit of money to someone in my financial situation. I can survive for a couple of weeks, but I need the money back as soon as....

I've a nasty feeling they will keep blaming each other, and I will never get my money back......where will I stand?

One thing is for sure, I'm never using Paypal again.

This has never happened before, and I don't know how it has. The person sent me an invoice, which I paid, so I don't know if he has received two lots of money (Or if he would be honest enough to tell me that he has!)

I'm fuming right now, maybe it's there way of saying 'Happy New Year'!!

Comments

• bleugh
    bleugh Posts: 1,796 Forumite
    Options
    firstly, what's the timescale here, these double payments sometimes sort themselves out after a couple of weeks

secondly, what does your paypal account say?, if it only shows one payment, then its wrong, if it shows two, you may have clicked the 'pay now' button twice by mistake

paypal are fairly hopeless at this sort of thing, and the only thing you can really do is wait once the complaint is logged
    money saving my @rse.
    I've spent 10x as much as I would if I had never discovered this website :-)
    :: No Links in signatures please - FM ::
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Looks like you and smashed need to put your heads together on this one.

See:- http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=130711
  • Miroslav
    Miroslav Posts: 6,193 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bleugh wrote:
    firstly, what's the timescale here, these double payments sometimes sort themselves out after a couple of weeks

secondly, what does your paypal account say?, if it only shows one payment, then its wrong, if it shows two, you may have clicked the 'pay now' button twice by mistake

paypal are fairly hopeless at this sort of thing, and the only thing you can really do is wait once the complaint is logged

Well. I paid on the 27th, and two payments went through.....30th Dec and 31st Dec.

Only 1 payment has been taken according to my paypal account, but 2, according to my bank account.
  • Miroslav
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hintza wrote:
    Looks like you and smashed need to put your heads together on this one.

See:- http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=130711

Oh dear :( And it's £440 in smashed's case :(
  • Alfie_E
    Alfie_E Posts: 1,293 Forumite
    Options
    Miroslav wrote:
    I've a nasty feeling they will keep blaming each other, and I will never get my money back......where will I stand?
    You tell Halifax that an error has been made in a direct debt and that, under the Direct Debit Guarantee, you request a full and immediate refund. It doesn’t matter whose fault it is, the bank has to give the money back immediately. Below is the relevant line from the Direct Debit Instructions you gave to PayPal.
    If an error is made by JPMC Re: PayPal International Ltd. or your bank or building society, you are guaranteed a full and immediate refund from your branch of the amount paid.
    古池や蛙飛込む水の音
  • Miroslav
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Alfie_E wrote:
    You tell Halifax that an error has been made in a direct debt and that, under the Direct Debit Guarantee, you request a full and immediate refund. It doesn’t matter whose fault it is, the bank has to give the money back immediately. Below is the relevant line from the Direct Debit Instructions you gave to PayPal.
    If an error is made by JPMC Re: PayPal International Ltd. or your bank or building society, you are guaranteed a full and immediate refund from your branch of the amount paid.

Does Paypal count as a Direct Debit though?

I paid the £62 for an auction on 27 Dec, so it's not a Direct Debit as such, more a debit card payment?

Or is it all the same?
  • Alfie_E
    Alfie_E Posts: 1,293 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, that might have been a bit of an assumption on my part, because you didn’t refer to a debit card, at the start. However, if you’ve linked a bank account to your PayPal account, all payments are taken as direct debits, unless you specifically choose to use a card at the time you make the payment.

If you did pay by debit card, and PayPal are unable to fix it quickly, you need to tell Halifax that the second payment from your account is a transaction you didn’t authorise.
    古池や蛙飛込む水の音
  • Miroslav
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Alfie_E wrote:
    Sorry, that might have been a bit of an assumption on my part, because you didn’t refer to a debit card, at the start. However, if you’ve linked a bank account to your PayPal account, all payments are taken as direct debits, unless you specifically choose to use a card at the time you make the payment.

If you did pay by debit card, and PayPal are unable to fix it quickly, you need to tell Halifax that the second payment from your account is a transaction you didn’t authorise.

Sorry, yeah it's from my debit card as I have not verified my bank account.

I will tell them that it is an unauthorised transaction, and see what they say.

Thanks
  • Miroslav
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Paypal have now refunded me the £62 :)

It went back int my account yesterday and is showing as of today :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure