Park and Ride into London?

Options
Hello,

Does anyone know if there is such a thing so that you can leave the car a night?
Im from the midlands and we were going to get the train there and back but at £120 i think petrol will be cheaper (well done to the governement for making public transport so economical! :rolleyes: )

Any advice much appreciated!

Comments

• Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yeah it's called Stanmore Tube Station.
  • jimmo
    jimmo Posts: 2,282 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Stanmore is good but it’s a fair old journey into the “city” from there.
    Where are you going and where are you intending to stay? What is your attitude to driving in heavy traffic?
    If you are comfortable driving in Birmingham then London is not really going to be much of a problem. However, if Birmingham frightens you London will be a nightmare.
    If you are staying overnight in London in an hotel the hotel might have free parking or an arrangement with a nearby car park.
    When I first drove to London I parked at Stanmore and got the tube in. I subsequently found that parking in Bedford was cheaper and quicker with non-stop trains.. I then “progressed” to using the underground car park at Hyde Park.
    Then I found that for long term parking (24 hour+) Paddington Station was the best for me.
    In your planning I would say forget about the Congestion Charge in the first instance. If you really like driving then London is an adventure to be enjoyed. If you drive for necessity London is a place to be avoided at all costs and if you are going there for pleasure the best place for your car is outside your house.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Options
    suzyp1982 wrote: »
    Hello,

Does anyone know if there is such a thing so that you can leave the car a night?
    Im from the midlands and we were going to get the train there and back but at £120 i think petrol will be cheaper (well done to the governement for making public transport so economical! :rolleyes: )

Any advice much appreciated!

Is that price with Virgin?

If so, have you looked at going with Chiltern, from Moor Street?

And when are you going as advance fares tend to be nowhere near that price - but it depends on when you're going (day and time).
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure