What car?

Options
Hawthorn
Hawthorn Posts: 1,241 Forumite
Our car has been written off. We are getting for it, the grand total of £1500, minus the £250 excess.

So. There are six of us, and whilst I would love an MPV, I don't think we can afford it right now.
We do however, need some form of car for my husbands work....so here's where any car buffs come in.

What we need?

Something cheap on tax, insurance and fuel. I would prefer to just use the insurance money rather than take on a new debt for a car. DH isn't fond of vauxhalls.

What sort of cars should I be looking for, for reliability etc please?

In all honesty, I'd rather scrap the blimming thing altogether, but not an option unfortunately :(

Many thanks x
Proud to be dealing with my debts :T

Don't throw away food challenge started 30/10/11 £4.45 wasted.

Storecard balance -[STRIKE] £786.60[/STRIKE] £708

Comments

• MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hawthorn wrote: »
    So. There are six of us, and whilst I would love an MPV, I don't think we can afford it right now.
    We do however, need some form of car for my husbands work....so here's where any car buffs come in.

So do you want a car that all of you can fit in? Cause an MPV would be the way.

What does your husband need from a work car, just for the commute? (how many miles) or does he carry loads of stuff.

How many miles are you doing?
  • Hawthorn
    Options
    sorry, no. We can't afford to run a big car like that. He's a police officer, so travels all over the place to different stations, and there is no public transport the hours he works. Average miles is around 30 a day, and yes, he carries a lot of paperwork/kit. Just something to get him to/from work, that's reliable and cheap to run would be great.

• harveybobbles
    Options
    Do you need 7 seats AL of the time or just every now and then?

I'm thinking of a normal estate car, but one which has occasional 2 extra pop up seats in the back. A lot cheaper to run than something big like a full blown MPV too.
  • Hawthorn
    Options
    Just every now and then. We can't really afford to go anywhere at the minute LOL. It would be easier to have something like that though - can you put car seats in these extra seats?

• kitchpoo
    kitchpoo Posts: 1,255 Forumite
    Options
    One often overlooked option is the Peugeot 406 Estate, which did come with a 7 seat option. And in HDi Diesel form would fit the budget. Not the most economic choice but a capable vehicle.http://dealer2.autotrader.co.uk/adbranding/93141/images/header.jpg

How about a Fiat Multipla, 6 seater, in 1.9 JTD form. The ugly bug looks have hit the used prices hard. http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/FIAT+MULTIPLA/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-13-51-240-4294965345-4294966893/advert.action?R=200847323939595&distance=118&postcode=nr31+8jb&channel=CARS&make=FIAT&model=MULTIPLA&min_pr=&max_pr=2000&max_mileage=

A Toyota Estima import would also be good, though the engine access is difficult and I'm not sure of their reliability, and in your budget you would be in the bottom end of the market.

Another MPV (just) is the Nissan Serena 2.0d or 2.3d - not the sprighliest car in the world - more of a van than a car.
    Praying at the church of MSE should be compulsory!

There are three types of people in the world, those who can add up and those who can't.
  • harveybobbles
    Options
    406 estate would be my choice. Tho not many of the "family" versions about as people tend to keep hold of them. Volvo's are available as 7 seats.
  • Hawthorn
    Options
    Ok thanks. Some ideas there - I'm clueless when it comes to cars. We will begin the search tomorrow.....oh joy!

• epz_2
    epz_2 Posts: 1,859 Forumite
    Options
    a point to remember is petrol is likely to be cheap for a few years due to the recession and if you get a pre 2001 car it doesnt matter about co2 rate as its taxed the same as a 1.5 liter.

big cars tend to be cheap at the moment so its not as clear cut as just buying small engine ecomobile
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure