Low Disk Space Warning

Options
As I received great advice a few days ago on the forum, I now need a little more help, so here goes.....

I am getting a low disk message on my PC when I start up. It says Boot (C) drive is low on space....

I went to the help pages on the PC and it told me to open My Computer and run the pointer over the directory for the drives. Which I have done,

BOOT (C:) has 160Mb Free Spce and 21.6 Gb Total,,, which I can understand is just about full.

I have another drive called BACKUP (D:) which says 12.1 Free Space and 12.9 Total....

My Question is can I move a few photo files from my C drive to my D drive, and to that matter what is the D Drive anyway??

And if I can move them, how do I keep this area as my 'Normal' area for keeping photos??

Thanks in advance for your assistance...
Want to be Mortgage Free ASAP
January 2007 -£224566.75
NOW-£221322.45
Saving £2 Total Now £240
Now is 24th January 2008

Comments

• intel
    intel Posts: 6,404 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you do move photos to that area create a folder in there first called My Photos02 or summet, I will say however that is a hell of a lot of space to be used up I mean thats a big drive.. I just hope you have backed up to an external drive or summet.
  • brummybloke
    brummybloke Posts: 1,518 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    copy and paste the photo folders across to your d drive.
    once this is done delete the folders on your c drive ( doing it like this just to make sure you do actualy have a d drive ).

do you have a dvd writer or a cd writer?

you may find it better to burn the photos onto disk rather than store them.

i have 2 copies of each dvd with photos on them, kept in different places. photos i want to keep i dont want to lose through either a broken dvd or a broken pc.

i would burn them to disk and then print out the ones you like best.

this frees up your hard drive and makes your photos safe.
    what is the plural of moose?

slags
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have another drive called BACKUP (D: which says 12.1 Free Space and 12.9 Total....

My Question is can I move a few photo files from my C drive to my D drive, and to that matter what is the D Drive anyway??

And if I can move them, how do I keep this area as my 'Normal' area for keeping photos??

Yes you definitely need to move some or your own data files (photos etc.) from the C: drive across to your D: drive which has plenty space left. The idea behind this partitioning, is that if your Windows operating system ever needs to be re-installed, any data that is on your D: partition will not be overwritten as the re-install will be limited to writing to the C: partition where Windows is installed.

Open Explorer (Start, right click Explorer) and with the D: drive highlighted, do File, New Folder (call it MyData or MyPhotos etc. Then again using Explorer, highlight the directory that contains your photos and Right click, Cut and then move to your new folder on the D: partition and Right click Paste.

If you do not move some directories ASAP, your operating system will not have enough space for it to continue to run.

In the future, save your data to a directory on the D: partition.

;)
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure