🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

WMF - IMPORTANT Warning for all Windows users!

Options
13»

Comments

• StephenB_2
    StephenB_2 Posts: 266 Forumite
    Options
    The spammers have a new trojan, see http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/archive-012006.html#00000768 This trojan seems to be ahead of most AV software :(

SJB
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    StephenB wrote:
    Ah, I fear we are talking at cross-purposes here Redux. My fault for trying to be brief.
    I see what you meant now, and my apologies too - you'd mentioned the rapidshare thing above, and I didn't appreciate all of the nuances of the Microsoft article.
  • tigermatt
    tigermatt Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Errr does anyone not think installing an unofficial patch sounds a bit suspect?
    No, I don't find it suspect if Steve Gibson is recommending it is installed. I have downloaded and installed it and don't seem to have a problem. I also trust Steve Gibson with my PC's security (lots of others do as well) and if he recommends something, I never hesitate installing it.
  • --Tony--
    --Tony-- Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I have been caught by this three times now, each time by clicking on a web site from a google search, could not understand why my virus software (trend) was no detecting it until it wa on my PC and I could only repair it with system restore and a virus scan.

I wont be clicking on any unknown sites grom Google until after the official patch now!!!!!
  • --Tony--
    Options
    All three slightly different but all caused this:

avgold2.jpg
  • --Tony--
    Options
    The Microsoft update is now available on the windows update site, do yours ASAP.
  • mr_fishbulb
    mr_fishbulb Posts: 5,224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    --Tony-- wrote:
    I have been caught by this three times now, each time by clicking on a web site from a google search, could not understand why my virus software (trend) was no detecting it until it wa on my PC and I could only repair it with system restore and a virus scan.
    Because it's crap? :D

Avast has been blocking these for me. For free.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport