Have I stuffed my credit rating?

Options
I'm building a nice little stooze pot and running some regular credit cards which I pay off each month. Last month I was stupid enough to miss paying my Amazon card - my own fault but I have to pay it through a secondary bank account as it doesn't show on the list of payees through my regular NatWest account. I have since paid it in full and following a converstation with the supervisor I got the charges waived :j

2 days ago I got the bill for my Tesco card and that also showed last months payment had been missed. I knew it hadn't as I had seen the money (in excess of 1k) go out of my current account. On checking what had happened I realised again it was my mistake. They recently upgraded me to a Platinum card and this meant a new card number. When I set up the online payment I had put the number in wrong. I called them and they said the money is in their holding account and they will trace it and put it on my account - all charges and interest will be waived as I did indeed pay in full by the date due.

I am wondering if this will affect my current credit rating though as I read somewhere that overdue payments have an effect. I have just been accepted for HSBC card and was planning to apply for a Mint card soon too - will I need to wait a while?
The best things in life are NOT free - but they sure are cheaper with MSE!:j

Comments

• cifpower
    cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
    Options
    I would wait until next month and then get your credit reports to see if anything has been reported.
  • smartsaver
    smartsaver Posts: 968 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sorry to say ur credit rating will most likely be adversly affected. :(

Make sure all payments are on time esp the 0% deals. If you late pay these you lose the 0% rate straight away. :eek:
  • woohoo_postingid
    Options
    Does it affect the credit rating hugely if a payment is missed?
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Does it affect the credit rating hugely if a payment is missed?
    It will vary between lenders, who will each have their own criteria.

For further information, see here...

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1101485056,23650,

and here...

https://www.stoozing.com/credscore.htm
  • realaledrinker
    Options
    Why are you not paying the minimum payment off by direct debit? That way you can guarantee not to miss a payment. Doing it 'manually' is asking for trouble, as you have found out twice to your cost.
    Ethical moneysaver
  • Peachy_2
    Peachy_2 Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    yeah it will affect it but if the credit co have seen fit to waive the fee/charges etc - they should be as ok with removing the info from your file, especially if you're a good customer previously and spending lots with them - try it - good luck !

Peachy X
    £35K+ debt at its worst
    £4,302 now - just paid off £1,400 !!
    Debt free in MAY 06 :j
  • KathrynPenguin
    Options
    Why are you not paying the minimum payment off by direct debit? That way you can guarantee not to miss a payment. Doing it 'manually' is asking for trouble, as you have found out twice to your cost.

I don't pay minimum by DD as I pay in full, however I do sometimes spend more than I would like to pay from my current account and make the payment instead from my savings account. I like to move the money out of the current account ASAP so that I earn max interest on it. When I have in the past had DD's on credit cards it has caused me a problem in paying from the other account as the payments have ended up going through twice, resulting in loss of interest for me!

Never mind, I can hold off building up my stooze pot for a little while.
    The best things in life are NOT free - but they sure are cheaper with MSE!:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure