Buying dell computer!!

Options
Please those members who have got a Dell computer, what softwares come loaded on it? I was talking to someobdy and she said her lap top did come with any back up CD like it used. Thanks

Comments

• Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I bought a Dell Inspirion 1300 for my niece for christmas. She let somebody onto it and they removed AntiVir and Zonealarm. God knows why, allegedly because this person told my niece that Zonealarm was preventing her from accessing AOL.

Anyway, I tried to do a Windows system restore, thinking it would reload the above. It didn't, and after I did the Windows restore it would not load Windows and therefore was useless. It kept shutting down during the boot process and it displayed a blue screen with text saying it had shut windows down to protect the pc.

So, I went to the Dell support site and I found the information detailed below. I followed these instructions and the laptop was restored to the condition it was in when I received it. Apparently, the orginal configuration is stored on the hard drive somewhere and it can be restored from this area.All is now ok, thankfully.

I will take gizmoleeds advice and contact Dell and see if I can get disks from them.

Here is the detail:

Dell PC Restore by Symantec.

NOTE: Dell PC Restore by Symantec is available on Dimension and Inspiron systems that shipped on or after 7/16/2004 in the Americas and 8/30/2004 in Europe.

Power the computer on.
    When the Dell screen appears press and hold the <Ctrl> key on the keyboard, press the <F11> key, then release them both at the same time.
    The Dell PC Restore by Symantec window appears.
    NOTE: Press the keys one time only. If you press them more than once, a keyboard error occurs and the process has to be initiated again.

Click the Restore button or press the <Tab> key to highlight Restore and press the <Enter> key.
    A caution message appears advising that all data will be lost.
    Click the Confirm button or press the <Tab> key to highlight Confirm and press the <Enter> key.
    The Progress window appears. Once the process is begun, Dell PC Restore usually takes only 8 to 10 minutes to complete.
    When the restore is complete, the message The system recovery process was successful appears.
    Click the Finish button or press the <Tab> key to highlight Finish and press the <Enter> key.
    The computer will restart.
    Your software is now as it was when you first received your computer.
  • JonG_3
    JonG_3 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    I've bought two Dells in the last year.

They are excellent value if you wait for a special offer for the type of PC you want.

No actual CD's are supplied but there is a full restore facility as described in the post above.

Additionally there is an option to create a full Dell Restore CD using a blank CD and your CD writer. You can only burn out this CD once so look after it !
    The facility is under Dell Accessories.

Other software is pretty limited and tends to be limited to trial software:

1. WIndows XP Home or (or Windows Media on some newer models). This includes your own unique Windows XP Serial No. which is becoming important to access MS updates & Antispyware etc.)
    2. Antivirus / Firewall (used to be Norton Internet Security for 3 months only but may now be Mcafee for 15 months)
    3. Jasc Photo Album (limited trial)
    4. DVD Playing / CD Burning software
    5. Dell Accesories and Picture Studio and Support

If you are after a good software bundle you will not be that impressed with the Dell package to be honest.
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    JonG wrote:
    I've bought two Dells in the last year.

They are excellent value if you wait for a special offer for the type of PC you want.

No actual CD's are supplied but there is a full restore facility as described in the post above.

Additionally there is an option to create a full Dell Restore CD using a blank CD and your CD writer. You can only burn out this CD once so look after it !

Other software is pretty limited and tends to be limited to trial software:

1. WIndows XP Home or (or Windows Media on some newer models). This includes your own unique Windows XP Serial No. which is becoming important to access MS updates & Antispyware etc.)
    2. Antivirus / Firewall (used to be Norton Internet Security for 3 months only but may now be Mcafee for 15 months)
    3. Jasc Photo Album (limited trial)
    4. DVD Playing / CD Burning software
    5. Dell Accesories and Picture Studio and Support

If you are after a good software bundle you will not be that impressed with the Dell package to be honest.

Can you post a link to:

Thanks
  • hendersonb
    Options
    As someone has already said you can only create a restore CD once - however you can copy the restore cd and keep a copy somewhere else incase you have a problem with the original one you created
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    hendersonb wrote:
    As someone has already said you can only create a restore CD once - however you can copy the restore cd and keep a copy somewhere else incase you have a problem with the original one you created

Yes I know that. That isn't what I was asking.

What I want is a link to where the cd making option is on the Dell website.
  • wonderfullife_2
    Options
    Steve_xx wrote:
    Yes I know that. That isn't what I was asking.

What I want is a link to where the cd making option is on the Dell website.

Its not on the Dell website its on your computer
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    thanks for the info
  • Myosin
    Myosin Posts: 204 Forumite
    Options
    Go to Start>All Programs>Dell Accessories>Dell OS Recovery CD ;)
    That, is an excellent question...
  • marylee
    marylee Posts: 497 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your help. I know this is silly, if the computer comes with a 16DVDRW-+ optical drive, will the software be included as well or will I have to buy the nero software separately. Also does any of you think, the 3 yr basic warranty worthy? Sorry if I have asked this question before, does not seem to be able to make up my mind whether to go for it for an extra £99+. I am really after the 3100/5150, but not many good deals at present. I am also looking at Evesham, are they any good?
  • JonG_3
    JonG_3 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    Agree with Gizmo, Evesham are good and the £140 for the Dell warranty is not worth it.

MESH Computers are also very good with better motherboards than DELL (IMHO)

A good current MESH offer is here :-

http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?PAGE=PRODUCTVIEWPAGE&USG=PRODUCT&ENT=PRODUCT&KEY=56231

The following Dell 5150 offer is very good value for £470 (inc. VAT & delivery) but only lasts another few days (see top of page) :-

http://www.dmxcomputers.co.uk/content/blogcategory/15/64/

Neither will include fantastic software bundles though !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure