Epson Perfection 2400 scanner

Options
I use my scanner so infrequently that in scanning a page of a book I accidentally clicked (I think) on 'Always open with' and chose Word. My scans previous to this were always JPEG or some format I could email easily send to others.

Now all my scans come up as Word and if I double click to open, it is gobbldegook. I run Windows XP Home. I can save the scans and get the saved doc to open by right clicking and clicking on Open With.

How do I undo my early absent minded error and stop it trying to open with Word.?
Thanks

Rachel
if i had known then what i know now

Comments

• tigermatt
    tigermatt Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    From your post, it sounds like you have simply changed the default viewer for the file extension your scans are saved in. First of all, you need to find out what the file extension of your scans are. That is the 3 characters after the file name after a dot. e.g. somescanfile.jpg If you can't see the 3 letters (.jpg) and it simply reads as somescanfile , go to My Computer, click Tools > Folder Options, pick the View tab then untick the box reading "Hide extensions for known file types"

Go back to one of your scans and check to see what the extension is. (Probably JPG) Now go to Tools > Folder Options again but pick the File Types tab. Find the extension in the column on the left (e.g. If it was JPG find JPG on the left - there are quite a few so you will probably have to scroll down) Highlight the entry then click the Change button and pick the program you want to open your scans in.

I hope this helps and it isn't too confusing. tigermatt :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure