How do I scann my receipts.....

Options
Happy New Year Everyone

I am thinking to track my spending I am going to scan all my receipts into the PC.. To keep track of them. My problem is I do not have a scanner, and was hoping that you guys out there maybe able to direct me to a cheap scanner that will scan receipts.....

Anyway experiance with this will would be greatly received...

Yours
Want to be Mortgage Free ASAP
January 2007 -£224566.75
NOW-£221322.45
Saving £2 Total Now £240
Now is 24th January 2008

Comments

• tryingtosave_3
    Options
    Keep in mind a basic scanner is most likely just to literally produce an image of the receipt. It won't actually be useful in terms of a database / excel spreadsheet - it's just an image (no cut and paste etc).

I can't think of anything specifically for receipts, but Morgan computers usually do a fairly good line in cheap flat bed (A4) scanners - around £20 or so. Nothing on their site at the moment though, other than a business card scanner.
    http://www.morgancomputers.com/shop/products2.asp?CategoryID=99&SubCategoryID=18

Interesting to note - business card scanners include software to recognise the common fields and actually take the info off the cards for a database, i.e. email, name etc. I don't think this would be useful to you though (plus it'll only take cards ...)

Not really sure how helpful a bunch of image files of my receipts would be to me - I would have though manually entering the data into a spreadsheet would actually be quicker ...
  • tigermatt
    tigermatt Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    gizmoleeds wrote:
    enter all the important values in a spreadsheet (description, money spent, money received etc.).
    Try Quicken for this job - it allows you to reconcile your bank account statements at the end of each month etc. to check everything balances, you can enter your own descriptions and quickly go back to them etc.

Tehre are some advanced features but unless you start using them, the basic way of setting up a bank account, inputting receipts etc. works perfectly and is very easy

tigermatt
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport