relocating main phone socket !

I am now being nagged so much I need to do something about this ........basic situation is phone comes into front corner of house from a telegraph pole, my pc is in the opposite rear corner of the house, hence one broadand lead running through the hall, dining room, and lounge. This was a temporary measure about a year ago ! !

Due to completely undue pressure from my beloved I need to do something. I investigated a wireless router but then read that these can be really complicated to get running properly and they are about £90 in pc world.

I am thinking the other alternative is to get a local bloke who advertises in the paper (ex bt engineer etc ) to extend the bt wire around the outside of my house and briing it in at the back, sounds a lot simpler, probably about the same cost i would think.

does that make sense ? , if it does, any reason why i should or should not do either ? . any advice !

Comments

• Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hello sirboz

If you don't get many replies, I'll move your thread over to the 'Techie Stuff' board later.

I'm not a techie wizard but I would go for the wireless router option because my friends have wireless broadband connection and think it's the dog's doodars.:D

Kind Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    wireless does not have to cost £90
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Wireless router (not a modem) is the answer - will give you far more flexibility in the long run. You will easily be able to add other machines and use a wireless laptop whereas if you tie the PC to the wall you will have to extend/move sockets again.

They are available from eBuyer, eBay etc at about £40 with the necessary cards for your PC and if you search the tecchie boards here you will find several threads on advantages etc and how to set up. trouble shoot etc.
    They are not as difficult as you might imagine - especially if you are running Windows XP which does most of the work for you.
    Cheers
    GoG
    K eep
    I t
    S imple
    S tupid!!
  • sirboz
    sirboz Posts: 2,394 Forumite
    Oh well , the chap in PC world told me which one he recommended, it was 80 something pounds, but when i read up about it I find people getting all technical with problems etc, wont work and suchlike and im not overly gifted in that department, I have AOL silver broadband if that is relevent . I really have no idea, hence I was thinking its just easier and less hassle to get the flippin socket moved !

apologies if im on the wrong thread, but do appreciate your comments on that one,

this site has to be the best ever !
  • Browntoa
    AOL does not support wireless home internet network on its Silver (£17.99 a month) package.

Technically, it should be possible, but AOL officially does not support it, so if anything goes wrong, you'll be on your own. Also, Silver only allows the use of one AOLscreen name (log-on) at a time. AOL supports Wi-Fi with more expensive packages, or consider switching suppliers.
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • If you kept the details of the one PC World recommended - do a search on Kelkoo (link at top of this page) or eBay etc I bet you will get the same thing cheaper.
    The "tecchies" here are brilliant at helping you set up etc
    K eep
    I t
    S imple
    S tupid!!
  • sirboz
    there ya go browntoa getting all technical on me again ! ! i see its cos im on the cheaper plan i gotcha. Sooooo would it be easier to move the socket ! as i think im on a 12 month contract , mind you could find out how much more the next one up is......... looking into as we speak !

wouldnt want to change from aol cos of chaning e-mail address etc etc etc
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    sirboz wrote:
    there ya go browntoa getting all technical on me again ! ! i see its cos im on the cheaper plan i gotcha. Sooooo would it be easier to move the socket ! as i think im on a 12 month contract , mind you could find out how much more the next one up is......... looking into as we speak !

wouldnt want to change from aol cos of chaning e-mail address etc etc etc

I doubt AOL could tell you were using router as long as it was using NAT. If you get brave and go the wireless route do check out this thread for a Grabbit now deal for £39.99 on a modem/wireless router and a PCMCIA card from PC World. It would need a PCI to PCMCIA adapter too (not included) if your PC is a desktop not a laptop - like this (not my auction).
  • Browntoa
    post removed as i'm a tired cretin....nonsense
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • sirboz
    hey i know im a 38 yr old dinosaur, but i never even knew you could get them, never seen anything like that, but EUREKA thats the answer alright.

ive been thinking about this for ages, getting it in the neck from the 'boss' , should of asked on here ages ago !! 5 mins problem solved !!

thanks everyone, im off to investigate further.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure